In the changing world of contemporary filmmaking, there is an increasing range of possibilities for future storytelling across different media and platforms. The School of Digital Art's (SODA) MA Filmmaking course explores filmmaking within a wide range of professional contexts. This includes a distinctive focus on short form filmmaking, spanning narrative, documentary, artistic and technological practices across a range of platforms. You will be encouraged to develop an authorial voice using a wide range of creative, conceptual and technological approaches to communicate your ideas and observations. Working with established techniques and experimental and disruptive production processes, you will have the opportunity to develop specialist skills whilst exploring a range of interdisciplinary and collaborative working methods within the SODA. As a Filmmaking student you will be based within a cutting-edge, purpose-built building, equipped with the latest emerging technologies to enable you to develop industry-standard skills for creating and researching content across the latest digital platforms. It’s a place that will offer the opportunity to collaborate with a dynamic creative community of sound designers, photographers, games developers and more. SODA is also home to staff from a wide range of creative disciplines, who are research active and experts in their chosen areas and who have well-established links to the wider creative media, arts and digital tech industries. During the course you will also develop professional links with the creative community and industries both locally, nationally and internationally. For students and creative media professionals alike, SODA is well positioned within Manchester as a great place for building a network and developing your research and practice in the media, games and digital tech industries. Features
- You will join a course that fosters interesting and diverse engagement with external partners within Manchester, the region, nationally and internationally.
- You will become an integral part of SODA - home to a creative community of interdisciplinary research staff with expertise in diverse fields of practice such as Animation, Filmmaking, Photography, Games Art, Immersive Arts and Sound Design.
- You will have the space, guidance and technical resources to enable you to develop your independent practice, whilst taking advantage of the transdisciplinary activities provided by our offer of optional units and Co-Labs.
- You will have the opportunity to extend and develop your experience in the professional sphere by being introduced to our close links with national and international educational partners, research communities and strong links with the creative and digital sectors across the UK.
- By joining SODA at Manchester Met, you will become a part of the University’s dynamic research community within a city that is one of the fastest growing tech hubs in Europe with a burgeoning arts scene and creative industries sector.
You should have at least a 2:2 undergraduate UK honours degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. Filmmaking; Film & Television Production; Creative Film Production; Media Production; Digital Media Production; Sound & Video; Photography; Media Communication). Equivalent EU/international qualifications are also accepted. Applicants who do not meet these criteria will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Other professional qualifications will be considered on merit and/or with relevant professional experience. Overseas applicants will require IELTS with an overall score of 6.5 with no less than 5.5 in any category, or an equivalent accepted English language qualification.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course
Additional fee information
Manchester Metropolitan University
All Saints Building
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
0161 247 6969