University of Derby has opted into the TEF and received a Gold award.
Get ahead in your career as a professional biologist – with a course centred on high-quality teaching, first-rate facilities, cutting-edge research and exciting real-world learning opportunities. KEY FEATURES OF THE COURSE:
- RANKINGS: Biosciences at Derby is ranked number one in the UK for student satisfaction with teaching and feedback (Guardian University Guide 2020). 90% of our BSc (Hons) Biology students said that they are satisfied with the teaching on the course (National Student Survey 2020).
- ACCREDITATION: This course is accredited by the Royal Society of Biology and includes a pathway which is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management, so you can be sure that the course provides a solid academic foundation in biological knowledge, key technical abilities, and transferable skills.
- TAILORED TO YOU: Our course offers a wide range of subjects including microbiology, tropical marine biology, oncology, physiology, animal behaviour, genetics and wildlife conservation as well as cellular and evolutionary processes, giving you plenty of choice to tailor your degree to the career you want.
- FACILITIES: Develop vital scientific skills in our high-spec laboratories, insectary, aquatic research facility (created in partnership with SeaLife, Birmingham) and dedicated student research laboratory.
- FIELDTRIPS: Your studies won’t be confined to the laboratory as fieldtrips are an essential part of the course - our students have travelled to locations such as Twycross Zoo, Kew Gardens and the Maldives. Costs of mandatory fieldtrips in optional modules are included in your tuition fees.
- RAISE YOUR PROFILE IN INDUSTRY: We work closely with organisations such as the Royal Derby Hospital, Sea Life, Derbyshire Wildlife Trust, Derby Museums, the Olive Ridley Project and Eurofins. These partnerships pave the way to work experience and internship opportunities where you can apply your skills in real world situations.
- EXPERT TEACHING: Our teaching team are active researchers whose work is shaping debates in areas such as ecology, entomology and biodiversity, so your learning will be informed by the very latest research and developments in biology.
- Your first year provides an introduction to some of the key themes you’ll need to understand, including evolution, genetics and human biology. Optional modules in your second and third years give you the opportunity to begin tailoring your degree to meet your career aspirations. You will also have opportunities to work in industry. You’ll learn through lectures, seminars, tutorials, e-learning, hands-on laboratory practical work and fieldtrips.
- You’ll be assessed using a range of written assignments including portfolios, practical and fieldtrip write-ups and data analysis, essays, computer-based assessments, poster presentations and seminar presentations, as well as traditional written examinations.
- Our graduates are now working as research scientists, laboratory and pharmacy technicians, healthcare assistants, medical laboratory assistants and wildlife conservation officers. Others have progressed to teaching and lecturing careers after completing postgraduate study or have advanced to gain veterinary and medical qualifications.
- This course is available with a Foundation Year option.
- This course is available with an Industrial Placement Year.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
English language requirements
IELTS overall score at a minimum of 6.0; with at least IELTS 5.5 in each band (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing) or another Secure English Language Test (SELT) at CEFR level B2 or above
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Republic of Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|