The foundation year of this Coventry University degree will be delivered from our CU Coventry campus. Course delivery from year 1 of the degree onwards will be from Coventry University campus. This course aims to provide you with a solid grounding for a career as a data scientist/analyst across a large range of sectors, from healthcare to finance, from marketing to transport. The foundation year aims to provide you with a solid grounding in mathematical principles and an understanding of the core technology associated with the use and application of computer systems. Professional and academic skills are integrated across all modules, including information finding and handling, problem solving, and the communication of outcomes. Students who successfully complete their foundation year will then progress onto the Data Science BSc (Hons) degree within Coventry University’s School of Computing, Mathematics and Data Science. The degree brings together a range of techniques that the modern data scientist needs. You will study modules in mathematics, data analysis and computing and tackle a variety of interesting and engaging problems from the latest research studies, business and industry. Key benefits of the degree
- You will have the chance to equip yourself with transferable and professional skills which prepare you for employment in industry, business, or education
- You will be provided with the opportunity to develop critical and reflective skills required for problem solving in a wide variety of contexts
- The degree has a particular emphasis on modern applications and the use of appropriate computational methods, software and technology
- You can expect to improve your knowledge and understanding of the theory and practice of the latest data science, as well as the use of computational methods.
- You will have the chance to gain industry-relevant experience as you apply real-world, commercial software development practices within teams of your peers, preparing you for your career after graduation
Foundation year modules:
- Fundamental Pure Mathematics
- Fundamental Applied Mathematics
- Software and Databases
- Data Visualisation
- Programming: Concepts and Algorithms
- Working with Data
- Programming: Professional Practice
- Probability and Statistics
- Artificial Intelligence
- Linear Algebra and Differential Equations
- Advanced Algorithms
- Data Science
- Linear Statistical Models
- Data Science Group Project
- Data Visualisation
- Statistical methods for Data Science
- Machine Learning
- Project Discovery
- Dissertation and Project Artefact
This course will be assessed using a variety of methods which will vary depending upon the module. Assessment methods include: Formal examinations Phase tests Essays Group work Presentations Reports Projects Coursework Exams Individual Assignments The Coventry University Group assessment strategy ensures that our courses are fairly assessed and allows us to monitor student progression towards achieving the intended learning outcomes.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
Please select a course option – you will then see the application code you need to use to apply for the course.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
We recognise a breadth of qualifications, speak to one of our advisers today to find out how we can help you.
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Republic of Ireland