This course will develop your understanding of the process of civil engineering technical design and management. You'll be introduced to key skills in structures, fluids, geology, soil mechanics, surveying and materials. Our foundation year offers the chance to strengthen your skills, knowledge and confidence – with extensive support from our expert staff – before you advance to stage one of your honours degree. It could also be beneficial if you are planning a career change and want to get to grips with aspects of subjects which are new to you. KEY FEATURES OF THE COURSE:
- RANKINGS: This course is ranked 1st in the UK for graduate prospects* and is in the Top 10 for teaching quality†, satisfaction with teaching^, student experience† and satisfaction with feedback^. (*The Complete University Guide 2024, ^The Guardian University Guide 2024 and †The Times and Sunday Times University Guide 2024)
- ACCREDITATION: This degree is accredited by the Joint Board of Moderators (JBM) comprising the Institution of Civil Engineers, Institution of Structural Engineers, Institute of Highway Engineers, the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation and the Permanent Way Institution on behalf of the Engineering Council as fully satisfying the educational base for an Incorporated Engineer (IEng).
- FACILITIES: You'll study in our fantastic facilities at Markeaton Street. Our STEM centre houses a range of equipment which you'll use throughout your studies, including a 10m flume, a state-of-the-art ground penetrating radar and a UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle) with survey and thermal imaging capabilities.
- LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES: Through the mix of lectures, real-life projects and site visits, you’ll develop the knowledge and skills that employers are looking for in areas such as structures, fluids, geology, soil mechanics, surveying and materials. You'll also put theory into practice via real-world projects, case studies, site visits and field trips, building the skills employers value most and gaining the academic base for Incorporated Engineer status.
- WORK EXPERIENCE: We offer a year industrial placement which will take place between the second and final year of your degree. The placement year will help you to develop the essential skills required in the workplace and will help boost your CV. There is a range of support available for students who are looking to enhance their employability whilst studying including internships, placements and graduate roles.
- EXPERT TEACHING: You'll be taught by experienced civil engineering practitioners who are highly skilled in this field, ensuring you are taught to a high professional standard.
- You will be assessed through workshop laboratories, surveying field work, group work and individual assignments. Some traditional exams may be involved for design tests.
- This course is available with a Foundation Year option.
- This course is available with an Industrial Placement Year.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
English language requirements
IELTS overall score at a minimum of 6.0; with at least IELTS 5.5 in each band (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing) or another Secure English Language Test(SELT)at CEFR level B2 or above
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding