Apply programming techniques to modern games creation, whilst developing your knowledge of artificial intelligence, physics, game engines and graphics programming. Why study BSc (Hons) Games Software Engineering at BU?:
- Strong focus on specialist units to give you a broad range of software engineering skills that can be put to good use in the context of games programming.
- Educated by professional practitioners, expert academics and interesting guest lecturers
- Taught in dedicated facilities, using the latest industry-standard software for developing games.
- Opportunity to put your learning into practice by taking a 4-week work placement (as part of the 3-year course) or a 30-week placement (as part of the 4-year course).
- We have regular contact with games developers across the UK and overseas, including Unity, Jagex, King, Sports Interactive, Creative Assembly, Climax Studios, and others.
- Regular guest lectures from some of the leading names in the industry.
- This course received an 89% satisfaction rating from our final year students (source DiscoverUni 2022)
Taught modules on the first year of the course include an Introduction to Programming, Games Design Principles, Digital Technologies, Mathematics for Computer Graphics, Object Oriented Games Programming and Game Development Pipeline.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
- Year 2
- Year 4
This course may be available at alternative locations, please check if other course options are available
AccessBU: AccessBU provides you with the opportunity to tell us about your circumstances that are not always evident in your UCAS application. This widening access initiative also considers relevant criteria such as being in care or if you live in an area with a low participation rate in Higher Education - if you are eligible, your offer could be up to 16 UCAS tariff points below the published tariff. Apprenticeships: We recognise the transferable knowledge and skills gained through apprenticeships and welcome applications from students with a Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship recognised by the Institute for Apprenticeships. Each application will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Deferred entry: We are happy to consider eligible applicants for deferred entry. If you have already submitted your application, please submit your deferral request through our website. Direct entry: We welcome applications from students who have previously studied at degree level at other institutions and wish to transfer onto a BU course. Our Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) procedure enables credit awarded from one institution to contribute to a BU award, subject to an application process. Please visit our RPL webpage for more information. Mature applicants: We recognise that mature applicants may have a wealth of experience rather than formal qualifications, so we’ll consider your application on these merits if included in your application. You’ll need to apply to BU in the usual way through UCAS and you may be invited to an interview to discuss your suitability for the course based on the experience you tell us about in your application.
English language requirements
|IELTS (Academic)||6||IELTS (Academic) 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in each component of writing, speaking, listening and reading.|
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|
|Republic of Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information