- Aiming for a senior role in fire safety? This could be the course for you. Fire Engineering impacts on all our lives whether we realise it or not. Find out more on our BEng Fire Engineering degree.
- Our course is externally accredited. It’s practical and focuses on fire in the context of buildings and infrastructure, the technology for predicting fires, and designs for fire safety.
- Fire and fire safety are key issues in building, infrastructure design and high-hazard industries. Our programme was developed in consultation with employers and professional bodies and because of our established research base, the content is current and highly relevant.
- The application of fire engineering in the real world is multidisciplinary and so is our course. You’ll carry out project work, liaising between fire engineers and other members of the design and management teams.
- Our course builds on the training and educational programmes offered by the Institution of Fire Engineers.
- You’ll get the chance to work with fire safety engineering companies, all with the aim of boosting your employability when you graduate.
- Bachelor of Engineering with Honours in Fire Engineering is ranked 3rd in the UK with 92% of students in graduate-level work or further study after graduating (Complete University Guide 2021)
- Bachelor of Engineering with Honours in Fire Engineering is ranked 1st in the UK with 92% of students satisfied with the learning resources (National Student Survey 2020)
- Benefit from the latest high-quality equipment and facilities available in our new £35m Engineering Innovation Centre.
- This course offers an optional 48-week sandwich placement in industry between the second and third years.
- After completing three years of full-time study you’ll have the option to graduate with a BEng (Hons) degree (it will take four years to reach this stage if you choose to go on a 48-week industrial placement in-between Years 2 and 3). Or you can choose to undertake an additional year of advanced study and graduate with an MEng (Hons) degree instead (this normally takes four years to complete in all, or five years with an industrial placement).
Year 1: Compulsory modules; Introduction to Combustion and Fire, Safety and Fire Law, Energy Transfer and Thermodynamics, Engineering Design Practice Buildings, Materials and Fire Engineering Analysis 1, Skills for Fire Studies Year 2: Compulsory modules; Fluid Dynamics of Fire, Fire and the Built Environment, Accidents and Catastrophes Safety, Health and Environmental Management, Project Management, Computational Engineering, Engineering Analysis 2. Optional modules; Industrial Placement Year 3: Compulsory modules; Enclosure Fire Dynamics, Fire Protection Engineering, Fire Investigation, Probabilistic Risk Analysis, Engineering Design Project Fire Science Dissertation
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Energy Institute, The
- Fire Engineers, Institution of
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
- Year 2
- Year 3
English language requirements
|IELTS (Academic)||6||with no component score less than 5.5 (To have been taken within two years of the course commencement date)|
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|