Our new MA Medieval Studies offers you the opportunity to encounter the Middle Ages from a range of disciplinary perspectives, including the study of:
- material culture
- the visual arts.
- artistic productions
- social patterns.
- The MA Medieval Studies offers you the only opportunity in London and the surrounding area to study the Middle Ages at postgraduate level through evening classes at university.
- We have a thriving research culture, with student-led reading groups and a regular programme of major visiting speakers, including the Birkbeck Medieval Seminar and the Material Texts Network.
- Birkbeck is ideally situated for the best humanities research libraries in the capital, including the British Library, Senate House and the Warburg Institute.
- Birkbeck was ranked in the top eight universities in the UK for its History research and 2nd for its English Language and Literature research in the 2021 Research Excellence Framework.
- You can apply to School of Arts postgraduate funding schemes, including Dean’s Awards, Peltz Scholarships and School of Arts Master’s Bursaries.
For information about course structure and the modules you will be studying, please visit Birkbeck’s online prospectus.
Assessment is via coursework, including essays and commentaries. It may also include presentations, the curation of material culture and visual arts, written work and the preparation of other forms of media.
How to apply
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests. If you don't meet the minimum IELTS requirement, we offer pre-sessional English courses and foundation programmes to help you improve your English language skills and get your place at Birkbeck.
Our standard postgraduate entry requirement is a second-class honours degree (2:2 or above) from a UK university, or an equivalent international qualification. Applications are reviewed on their individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9810||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Birkbeck, University of London
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
Birkbeck Student Advice Service
0203 907 0700