Aeronautical and aerospace engineering is concerned with the development of aircraft and spacecraft – using science and engineering, computational and analytical skills to design vehicles and structures that interact with the earth’s atmosphere and beyond. From choosing materials which maximise structural strength to optimising aerodynamics and fuel economy, today’s industry-leading aeronautical and aerospace engineers are developing new technologies for use in aviation, defence systems, and spacecraft. Studying aeronautical and aerospace engineering at Leeds will develop your abilities in mathematics, physics, materials and computer science, backed-up with a strong design philosophy – all of which will equip you to design, analyse, manufacture and operate aircraft and aerospace vehicles. You’ll be prepared to help meet the challenges facing the aerospace sector. Our active Industrial Advisory Board helps inform the development of this course to ensure that it is up to date with industry developments and requirements. That’s one of the reasons why our graduates are so in demand from industry, and why our courses are accredited by the leading professional bodies. Why Study at Leeds
- This course is accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and the Royal Aeronautical Society.
- Get hands on with practical work in each year of study by putting into practice what you have learned by designing, manufacturing and assembling devices and testing their performance.
- This is a practical course, so you’ll benefit from specialist facilities including extensive lab space and equipment such as wind tunnels, our high-spec computer cluster for Computer-Aided Design (CAD) work and computational modelling, in aerodynamic analysis for example, and workshop facilities for various rapid prototyping systems.
- You’ll develop your programming skills in industry standard languages like Matlab and for microprocessor systems, giving you everything you need to get started on your career in engineering.
- Benefit from our globally recognised research that feeds directly into your course and shapes what you learn at Leeds with the latest thinking.
- Develop your experience and boost your career prospects with our industrial placement opportunities or study abroad programmes.
- Make the most of your time at Leeds by joining our student society MechEngSoc. It’s a great opportunity for you to meet people from different cultures and backgrounds who share your passion for mechanical engineering.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Mechanical Engineers, Institution of
- Aeronautical Society, Royal
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
Please select a course option – you will then see the application code you need to use to apply for the course.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
- Year 2
Entry requirements for advanced entry (i.e. into Year 2 and beyond)
Subject to places being available, you must achieve our published first year entry requirements and the relevant % average in your first year of study. Learning outcomes of year 1 of the degree programme you are applying to must also have been met.
Please click the following link to find out more about qualification requirements for this course
English language requirements
IELTS (International English Language Testing System): 6.0 with no less than 5.5 in each section.
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course