Coventry University has opted into the TEF and received a Gold award.
This is a specialist, vocationally oriented degree that aims to prepare you for careers as a professional accountant, in practice, industry or the public sector. Our degree is recognised by the Association of International Accountants (AIA), Certified Practising Accountants (CPA) Australia, Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) and the Institute of Chartered Accountants England and Wales (ICAEW). Our syllabus is closely linked with the requirements of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) and Institute of Chartered Accountants England and Wales (ICAEW). The curriculum and assessment is designed to impart the knowledge needed to pass the professional qualifications, providing a significant number of exemptions, depending on which optional modules you take (further information will be provided when it comes to making your module decisions). You’ll be taught by teaching staff that includes qualified accountants with substantial experience in practice and industry, many with active research interests in areas such as auditing, banking, stock markets and return on investments. They aim to bring contemporary practice into the classroom, for example, monitoring relevant news stories like the furore around public pensions or executive bonuses, to stimulate debate and discussion. Throughout the course, teaching is designed to cover desired professional skills. You’ll have access to the largest academic trading floor in Europe, which incorporates the best analytical, news and data platforms to give you first-hand experience of these industry-standard tools. A second-year optional module - Accounting Information Systems - allows you to use industry-standard business software packages, including SAGE and SAP. You’ll also have the opportunity to participate in a range of activities which develop you personally and professionally. These include: group presentations, online phase tests, such as ‘My accounting lab’ and graduate assessment days, interview techniques and telephone interviews. Key Course Benefits
- Facilities include our Trading Floor featuring 42 dual screen Bloomberg terminals.
- Access to academic staff with relevant professional backgrounds and industry experience.
- Opportunity for hands-on experience of using market leading accounting and business software packages, from SAGE for small and medium enterprises, to SAP for international companies.
- Exemptions from multiple papers of the professional qualifications from the UK’s leading professional accounting bodies, whose representatives have visited our students in the past to speak about the professions and give advice and guidance on how to secure a job.
- Practical focus includes preparing and analysing corporate accounts, as well as studying the impact of finance on real businesses through case studies of a diverse range of organisations, from sole trader partnerships to large corporations like Easyjet, Ryanir and Ben & Jerry’s.
- Designated Employment Personal Tutor (EPT) to work with you throughout your course. All our EPTs have previously worked in industry and have experience of being a recruiter; they understand the labour market, the skills employers look for and the processes used by employers to select candidates.
Your main study themes are:
- Financial and management accounting: How businesses use accounting information to inform and assist the management decision making process and how performance is reported on a consistent and regular basis to stakeholder groups including shareholders.
- Taxation and law: Study of relevant business and competition law, as well as essential knowledge of tax initiatives, such as company, valued added, personal and inheritance tax.
- Economics and business: Understanding how businesses operate within the external environment and the impact of things like competition or overseas tax legislation on profit and loss.
- Statistical analysis and mathematical techniques: Essential numeracy skills and analysis for financial reporting and management accounting, including discounted cash flows and cost, volume, profit analysis.
- Research skills: Analyse and discuss contemporary accounting and finance issues; exhibit an understanding of research methodology and research methods; synthesise and evaluate data from a range of sources.
- Employability skills: Develop a range of generic skills that will be of value in employment including teamwork, numeracy, literacy, oral communication, ITC skills, and time management.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Certified Accountants, Chartered Association of
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants
- Chartered Insurance Institute
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
How to apply
If your application is completed by the following date, it’s guaranteed to be considered:
15 January*If you apply after this deadline, universities or colleges don’t have to consider your application if they’ve filled their spaces, so the sooner you apply, the better!
You will need these codes when you add a choice to your application.
Please select a course option – you will then see the application code you need to use to apply for the course.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
|A level||ABB - BBB|
|Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)||DDM|
|Access to HE Diploma||The Access to HE Diploma to include 30 Level 3 credits at Merit. Plus GCSE English and Mathematics at grade 4 / C or above.|
|GCSE/National 4/National 5||5 GCSEs at grade 4 / C or above to include English and Mathematics.|
All applications are considered on an individual basis and the whole application is reviewed which includes previous and predicted qualifications, experience, reference and your motivation to study the course. The University also accepts the BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate / BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma and BTEC Level 3 National Diploma / BTEC Level 3 Diploma for entry onto degree programmes, provided that they are studied in combination with other qualifications that are equivalent to three A2 Levels. This may include subject specific requirements where necessary. If you are successful in receiving an offer, you will be invited to an Applicant Visit Day to discover more about the course and studying at Coventry University.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Clearing contact details
Recruitment and Admissions
Thursday 13th and Friday 14th August - 07:00 - 19:00 Saturday 15th and Sunday 16th August - 10:00 - 16:00 Monday 19th August onwards - 8:30 - 17:00
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
UK Admissions Office
024 7765 2222
European and International Admissions Office
+44 024 7765 2152