Manchester has been identified as one of the major games industry hubs outside of London* (*source: 'A Map of the UK', Nesta, 2020). As home to organisations such as Gameopolis, the city is a driving force for building and coordinating the future of the games industry. With our MSc in Computer Games Development, you’ll gain the skills required for an exciting career within this growing industry, both here in Manchester and beyond. You’ll learn the core essentials of programming for games and you’ll conduct playtesting sessions and user research to ensure that your games are fun, impactful and that they effectively reach their target audience. You will also complete a masters project. While you’ll have plenty of support along the way, it’s a solo research project designed to develop confidence, autonomy and self-sufficiency – qualities that can take you far in the workplace. By the time you complete your masters, you’ll not only have the technical knowledge you’ll also have gained key employability skills such as team working, communication, project management and negotiation skills. With the mentorship of passionate games-focused staff at Manchester Met, you will be able to build a refined and diverse portfolio, to help you work towards securing a job in the games industry. Features and Benefits
- Excellent facilities – The department has an extensive range of equipment in our own specialist laboratories, together with the support of our dedicated technical staff.
- Specialist games lab – Our campus is equipped with gaming chairs, keyboards and mice used for our eSports events. You'll also have access to an animation lab with a green-screen area and a user experience lab.
- Excellent standards – Recognised for our expertise, the department is a member of the Oracle Academy and an academic partner of the Chartered Institute of Information Security (CIISec).
- Thriving technology sector – Being in Manchester puts the largest creative and digital technology sector outside the capital on our doorstep.
- Institute of Coding – The Department of Computing and Mathematics is part of the £40m national Institute of Coding (IoC). Our students have access to the IoC’s cutting-edge computer lab to hone their skills in this area.
- Optional placement year – Boost your career prospects and put theory into practice with the option to take an industry placement year.
- Learn alongside world-leading research – 86% of our research outputs in Computer Science are rated world-leading and internationally excellent (REF, 2021).
- Investing in your future – We’re transforming our science and engineering campus. Opening in 2023, our multi-million redevelopment provides a professional study environment with world-class facilities so you’re well prepared to experience life within a modern industry setting when you graduate.
- Dedicated computing studio space – Designed in collaboration with our current students, a new studio provides you with a professional environment to work individually and in groups. As well as being a great learning environment, the space can be used outside of your classes to organise hackathons, develop your own video games or simply space use your imagination to create the technology of the future.
Please see our website for information on entry requirements.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course
Additional fee information
Manchester Metropolitan University
All Saints Building
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
0161 247 69 69