Coventry University has opted into the TEF and received a Gold award.
This course is taught by our highly experienced staff, whose consultancy, training and research links with organisations are deep and wide ranging. Examples of these links and organisations worked with include the Department of Work and Pensions, Saint Gobain, Caterpillar, The AA and Jaguar Land Rover and Disney. This expertise and these links all help bring to life the realities, complexities and challenges of running a business organisation, which are explored through a range of real life case studies, role plays, innovative assignments and links with industry. Accredited by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) as providing the knowledge requirements for student membership, this course offers a modules dealing with contemporary issues such as work psychology, managing change and innovation and business leadership and ethics. Two modules, one mandatory in the first year and one optional in the final year, also make use of online international learning (OIL) projects, to help give you the opportunity to develop intercultural skills and gain global experience. You will have the chance to undertake work experience during your period of study and will be supported by staff in identifying suitable placement opportunities that in the past have included IBM, Rolls Royce, GE Healthcare, UTC Aerospace, Evobus, The Prince’s Trust and Severn Trent Water. To ensure your learning experience provides you with a sound and realistic understanding of the knowledge, skills and behaviours required by HRM professionals today, you’ll receive guest lectures and participate in industry-led seminars from current practitioners. Our research-active staff will also share the latest thinking, new developments and specific challenges of a changing work environment, influenced by increased globalisation. We have lecturers who focus on new ways of working, diversity management, multi-cultural teams, identity, HR professionalisation, the organisation of change and the changing nature of management, social network analysis, shared perceptions, organisational psychology and organisational behaviour. Coventry Business School is currently (2018) rated as ‘excellent’ by Eduniversal, an annual ranking of business schools. We are active members of the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD) and Chartered Association of Business Schools (CABS), as well as being signatories to the United Nations Principles for Responsible Management Education (UN PRME) initiative. Key Course Benefits
- Opportunity to attend a CIPD Mock Tribunal, local CIPD Branch events and a CIPD Student Conference.
- Provides a progression path to study for an MBA in subsequent years following appropriate experience of work.
- £350m investment in facilities, a single site campus with excellent learning facilities all in easy walking distance.
- Industry-led seminars, which in the past has included Employment Law updates by leading employment lawyers Eversheds, Brethertons and Wright Hassall.
- Regular guest lectures, which recently included one of the leading authors in the area of International HRM, who shared his expertise and inspired our students to become future global leaders.
- Industry field trips to organisations within a range of sectors and industries and diversified HR functions, with past visits to Italy, Jaguar Land Rover, Ironbridge and Coventry City Council.
- During your course, you will be supported by a Progress Coach, who will be available for drop-in and one-to-one sessions on academic progress, and our Business Futures team, who will give you a designated Employment Personal Tutor to support you with applying for graduate job roles.
Your main study themes are:
- Managing People in an International Environment: This provides a critical evaluation of the globalisation of human resource management strategies from various perspectives. You will be introduced to the key concepts for understanding international human resource management, and explore the practice of managing human resources in an international context.
- Improving Organisational Performance: Human resources (HR) professionals need to understand how organisations can drive sustained organisation performance by creating a high-performance work organisation (HPWO) and involve line managers in the performance management process. You will learn ways to involve and secure the commitment of line managers to create a high-performance culture that promotes diversity, trust, enthusiasm and commitment.
- Attracting and Retaining Key Talent: A fundamental part of the HR management role is concerned with the mobilisation of a workforce, taking responsibility for ensuring that the organisation is able to access the skills it needs at the time and in the places that it needs them to drive sustained organisation performance. This involves attracting, retaining and, from time to time, managing the departure of staff from the organisation. Achieving this requires insight-driven strategic and operational activity. Organisations are obliged to compete with one another to secure the services of a workforce in labour markets that are continually evolving.
- Leading through change: It is both widely recognised, and a self-fulfilling prophesy, that change is the only constant in the environment faced by organisations in the modern world. Factors such as technological advances, increasing competitive pressures, changes in regulatory reforms and globalisation are creating opportunities and threats that organisations need to address if they are to survive and prosper. Managers at all levels need to be competent at identifying the need for change and managing change effectively and harnessing creativity and innovation for organisational survival and success.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Personnel and Development, Chartered Institute of
- European Foundation for Management Development
How to apply
If your application is completed by the following date, it’s guaranteed to be considered:
15 January*If you apply after this deadline, universities or colleges don’t have to consider your application if they’ve filled their spaces, so the sooner you apply, the better!
You will need these codes when you add a choice to your application.
Please select a course option – you will then see the application code you need to use to apply for the course.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
|A level||ABB - BBB|
|Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)||DDM|
|Access to HE Diploma||The Access to HE Diploma to include 30 Level 3 credits at Merit. Plus GCSE English and Mathematics at grade 4 / C or above.|
|International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme||31 - 30 points|
|GCSE/National 4/National 5||5 GCSEs at grade 4 / C or above to include English and Mathematics.|
All applications are considered on an individual basis and the whole application is reviewed which includes previous and predicted qualifications, experience, reference and your motivation to study the course. The University also accepts the BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate / BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma and BTEC Level 3 National Diploma / BTEC Level 3 Diploma for entry onto degree programmes, provided that they are studied in combination with other qualifications that are equivalent to three A2 Levels. This may include subject specific requirements where necessary. If you are successful in receiving an offer, you will be invited to an Applicant Visit Day to discover more about the course and studying at Coventry University.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Clearing contact details
Recruitment and Admissions
Thursday 13th and Friday 14th August - 07:00 - 19:00 Saturday 15th and Sunday 16th August - 10:00 - 16:00 Monday 19th August onwards - 8:30 - 17:00
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
UK Admissions Office
024 7765 2222
European and International Admissions Office
+44 024 7765 2152