.A constantly evolving sector, the multibillion-pound computer games industry is now worth more than double its value in 2007. This offers graduates extensive career opportunities in a rapidly expanding field. This course provides an opportunity to develop your interest in computer games into a set of skills which will help you start a career in this exciting industry. You will study the latest techniques and resources for developing standalone, web-based and mobile games, featuring exciting graphics and animation, becoming familiar with the basic architecture and design elements of computer games and programming languages relevant to games development. Key features
- Teaching covers a range of topics, including an introduction to C++ programming, game architecture and design, and game engine architecture, ensuring you are fully familiarised with programming languages and paradigms relevant to games development.
- Benefit from our industry-standard game development studios, featuring some of the latest technologies for playing and developing games on a range of platforms. They are equipped with a mixture of high-specification gaming PCs, consoles and game development software.
- Through block teaching, you will focus on one subject at a time instead of several at once. This means that you will be able to focus closely on each subject and absorb your learning material in more depth, whilst working more closely with your tutors and course mates.
- Become part of a vibrant community by joining our Game Society or E-Sports Society. You can build on what you learn on the course by playing games, taking trips to professional gaming events, and competing in tournaments. Our Games Development Society will give you the chance to work alongside Game Art students in games jams.
- Explore professional opportunities with a placement year. Recent Computer Games Programming students have spent a year in industry working as Intern Software Engineers and Programmers for companies including immersive tech company, Virtual Arts.
- Graduates have pursued careers as games programmers, artificial intelligence programmers, graphics programmers, 3D modellers and web systems developers.
- Gain valuable international experience as part of your studies with our DMU Global programme. Students have been able to visit top tech companies in San Francisco and test out their espionage and surveillance skills in New York.
First year Block 1: Game Design & Development Block 2: Markup Languages & Scripting Block 3: Maths & Computer Systems Block 4: C++ Fundamentals Second Year Block 1: 3D Modelling & Shader Fundamentals Block 2: Mobile Games and AI for Simulation Block 3: Applied Mechanics and Progressive Game Engines Block 4: Production Level C++ Third Year Block 1: Advanced Game Engine Application Block 2: Advanced Shader Programming Block 3: Performant Rendering with C++ Block 4: Game Development Project
A variety of learning and teaching methods are used, including lectures, tutorials and practical laboratory work. Continuous evaluation forms the major part of the assessment process and there are many opportunities for practical development. You will normally attend around 12-16 hours of timetabled taught sessions each week, and are expected to undertake at least 24 further hours of directed independent study and assignments as required.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- BCS - The Chartered Institute for IT
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
Please select a course option – you will then see the application code you need to use to apply for the course.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Channel Islands||£9250*||Year 1|
|Republic of Ireland||£9250*||Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||£9250*||Year 1|
*This is a provisional fee and subject to change.