Tourism and hospitality is a large and ever-expanding industry, benefitting from consistent year-on-year growth in the UK. It supports millions of jobs in England and is worth billions to the UK economy. Tourism is a key area of both the domestic and global economy. This industry is fast paced and challenging, requiring flexible, hardworking and determined individuals to head the evolving industry. If you enjoy diverse working conditions, networking with people of all cultures and using creativity and discipline in everything you do, this rewarding and exciting industry could be perfect for you. As such, there is a real demand for talented individuals who understand the management of tourism and hospitality businesses and who can think about business development. This course is designed to make sure that our graduates are the talented and knowledgeable individuals needed, providing you with the skillset to be successful in this growing market. Key Course Benefits;
- Students who study this course benefit from varied career prospects. As a broad and widely-respected degree, you are not limited to careers in just the tourism sector. As this course incorporates business and management as well, you could progress into the hotel industry, events management, travel operations and more.
- Upon completion of this course, you will receive a qualification awarded by Coventry University, which was ranked 13th best university in the UK in the Guardian University Guide 2019.
- You will receive support with applying for short and long-term placements, to gain the experience employers desire, with our in-house Careers & Employability department.
- An opportunity to study at our different locations across the UK, in Coventry, London and Scarborough.
- In order to make higher education accessible to as many people as possible, we keep our tuition fees competitively priced.
- Small tutorial group sessions ensure that you receive the mentoring help and support you need, whenever you need it.
- We deliver one module at a time during each block. This means you can dedicate your time to specialise in each subject without the distraction of numerous modules and multiple deadlines.
- Hands-on experience of organising your own event in your final year, which is supported by the University.
- Free student membership of The Confederation of Tourism and Hospitality for final year students.
Your main study themes are: People - people are such a critical success factor within both sectors, it is essential you develop an appreciation of Human Resource Management (HRM) and the theories related to planning, recruitment, motivation and training. You will also look at performance management and employment legislation and regulations. Tourism - you will critically evaluate the emerging theme of sustainable tourism by examining real-world examples. You will gain a critical insight into the operating systems of the tourism industry from the perspective of the tour operator and will explore issues such as marketing, product development, subcontractor relations, the role of non-governmental organisations (NGOs), consumer relations and ethical consumerism. Finance - you will look at the sources, uses and management of finance, the use of accounting and other information systems for the management of hospitality and tourism. You will learn the financial data which can inform managerial decision making within both sectors. You will consider the methods used to analyse and interrogate also, along with accounting principles. Marketing - you will look at the theories related to marketing strategy, planning and implementation within the hospitality and tourism industries. You will deepen your understanding of the operational requirements of both sectors with a critical consideration of marketing strategy, including the emerging principles of relationship based marketing and how this can be applied in the hospitality and travel and tourism sectors. Entrepreneurship - you will be required to consider all aspects of hospitality, travel and tourism management from the perspective of the business owner. You will particularly focus on the skills and competencies required to be a successful entrepreneur in these sectors. For more information about what you will study, please visit our website.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- CU Coventry
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
This course may be available at alternative locations, please check if other course options are available
All applications are considered on an individual basis and the whole application is reviewed which includes previous and predicted qualifications, experience, reference and your motivation to study the course. The University also accepts the BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate/BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma and BTEC Level 3 National Diploma/BTEC Level 3 Diploma for entry onto degree programmes, provided that they are studied in combination with other qualifications that are equivalent to three A2 Levels. This may include subject specific requirements where necessary. If you are successful in receiving an offer, you will be invited to an Applicant Visit Day to discover more about the course and studying at Coventry University Group.
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£7950||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£7950||Year 1|
|Republic of Ireland||£7950||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
UK Admissions Office
024 7765 2222