Want to become a Civil Engineer? Study our Civil Engineering degree course with a foundation year. This course, designed to meet the requirements of relevant professional bodies, will give you the best start to your career in civil engineering. Much of your learning activity will be hands-on, with access to our strong industry links. You’ll also be provided with the latest CAD software, meaning you’ll be well equipped to make an impact in an important industry. The Foundation Year course option enables you to study for our BEng (Hons) degree over an extended full-time duration of four years by including a Foundation Certificate (year one of four) in your studies. The Foundation Certificate provides a broad study programme that underpins the follow-on degree. In order to progress to the next year of the degree, it is necessary to achieve a pass in all modules of the Foundation Certificate. What's covered in the course? Civil engineers build power stations, bridges and motorways; our course will prepare you to work on these projects. You will focus on hydraulics, examining how water flows and drives turbines, and your studies will be enhanced through site visits, field trips and guest lectures. On this course you will develop the key transferable skills that modern employers require, such as problem solving, project planning, presentation and communication. Our strong links to industry enable you to apply your learning to problem-based scenarios, ensuring your intellectual and practical competencies are fully developed. You’ll experience a unique simulated workplace and work towards a successful career as a chartered civil engineer. Why Choose Us?
- Professional placement option – Gain desirable employability skills with the option of a professional placement.
- Employable graduates - Our graduates work for companies such as Balfour Beatty and Cancer Care, in management roles such as construction managers or design engineers.
- Study at the heart of Britain’s Second City - Some of the UK’s most exciting infrastructure projects such as HS2, are taking place right on our doorstep.
- A well-established provider - The faculty has a reputation as the West Midlands' chief hub of knowledge, technology and skills-transfer into industry. The course is supported by dedicated teaching staff and expert industry speakers.
- State-of-the-art course content and facilities - Incorporating the latest in research and industry practice. You will be based at our Millennium Point campus in City Centre, where our facilities have undergone a £6.5 million investment to provide you with the best learning experience.
- Travel Scholarships - Opportunities to secure funding to gain experience overseas. Read about travel scholarships here.
- We are an Autodesk Training Centre (ATC) -This national and international recognition will give you access to on-campus training by certified Autodesk instructors, providing you with digital skills that will be highly sought after by employers. Autodesk applications play an important part in supporting the digital transformation of Architecture, Engineering and Construction.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Millennium Point Campus
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
English language requirements
|IELTS (Academic)||6||with no less than 5.5 in any level|
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|