Designed for anyone with a passion for computer-generated content, our BSc (Hons) Computer Animation and Visual Effects degree will help you learn and hone the skills needed to launch a career in an incredibly exciting industry. We take a learning by doing approach on this course. So alongside our expert guidance and support, you’ll also benefit from a learning environment that is designed to emulate professional studio-working practice. You’ll have access to our fully equipped CG/VFX suite, with high-end hardware, render farm, dedicated green screen room, lighting rigs and motion capture equipment. In other words, you’ll have everything you need to learn how to create your own assets for integration with virtual environments and live-action footage to produce complex visual effects. Your only limitation is your imagination and will to learn. Regardless of whether you have prior experience in a related field, this course is designed for anyone with enthusiasm for learning the intricacies of computer-generated content. Focusing on three core threads of 3D, FX and compositing, you’ll learn about creating, rigging and animating 3D assets, developing advanced particle effects, as well as compositing and integration methods for post-production to bring the final shot together. And most importantly, at all stages you’ll have the creative freedom to develop your own ideas and concepts right through to the finished work. With links to some of the world’s largest VFX and animation houses through our graduates and academic staff, you’ll be perfectly placed to jump into industry, whether you desire to move into high-end film, television or games. FEATURES AND BENEFITS
- Study a degree designed together with industry, equipping you with the range of skills and strengths that employers demand.
- Take the four-year placement route and you’ll spend your third year in industry, boosting your employment prospects as a graduate. This may be subject to availability.
- Get involved with extracurricular work to further apply your skills, such as hackathons, gaming events and the Students’ Union Computing Society.
- We have a games lab equipped with gaming chairs, keyboards and mice used for our eSports events, an animation lab with a green-screen area and a user experience lab with an eye-tracking system.
- We are investing £115m to transform the way we teach in the Faculty of Science and Engineering. Opening in 2023, our new Dalton building will enhance collaboration between students, staff and industry and provide improved teaching spaces, including a new computing and mathematics studio.
- We offer a wide range of student support initiatives, including drop-in sessions, lecture recordings, video tutorials and a dedicated support laboratory.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
GCSE grade C/4 or above in English Language or Pass in Level 2 Functional Skills English and GCSE grade C/4 or above in Mathematics and Pass in Level 2 Functional Skills Mathematics. The level 2 requirements may also be met through the level 3 course requirements for the course; please contact the University directly if you require further information.
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course
Additional fee information
Manchester Metropolitan University
All Saints Building
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
0161 247 69 69