This course is for NMC registered nurses who want to gain a professional qualification in health visiting or occupational health nursing or school nursing. If you have either a Diploma or Advanced Diploma in nursing studies this course can be studied at degree level to top up your qualification.
- Gain a professional qualification in health visiting or occupational health nursing or school nursing
- Build your understanding of clinical practice, wider public health and leadership and management
- Develop specialist assessment, leadership and management skills.
- Develop and build on your existing knowledge to ensure that you meet the competencies set by the Nursing and Midwifery Council, and you’re eligible to gain a registrable qualification
- Become part of the public health workforce working toward improving people's lives and their health outcomes.
- Develop the skills you need to become a practitioner in your own area of expertise, and work as a specialist public health nurse
- Learn how to share the core values of a practitioner with your colleagues to help them with their professional development
- Build up your skills in clinical practice, care and programme management, leadership, and public health, which will be essential when you become a practitioner
- Enhance your research skills that will help you to look at the quality of care in your current practice and suggest improvements
- Improve your understanding of professional roles and functions by networking, team building and communicating with other professionals.
Modules include: specialist professional issues and continuing professional development (health visiting and school nursing); public health, inequality and associated vulnerability; leadership and management in a commissioning based health care environment; research methodologies (application to advanced practice); independent scholarship. Plus 1 of the following modules: child and adolescent mental health; child development; clinical supervision; ethical and legal issues.
You will be assessed through exams, observations, assignments, presentation and a practice portfolio. You will also be assessed on your placement by your practice teacher.
This course is for NMC registered nurses who want to gain a professional qualification in either health visiting, occupational health nursing or school nursing. If you have either a Diploma or Advanced Diploma in nursing studies this course can be studied at degree level to top up your qualification. To study this course you must: Hold a current nurse or midwife qualification and have a current registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council; Possess a degree at 1:1 or 2:1 having 120 credits at degree level or equivalent academic credits or Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL); Have gained a student Health Visitor or Occupational Health Nurse or School Nurse position from a seconding/sponsoring organisation; Have at least one year post registration experience due to the requirements of the V100 prescribing component and 2 years if taking the V300 non-medical prescribing qualification (NMC). It is the Employers responsibility to ensure that any necessary Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks and health checks are carried out, proof of this and indemnity will be required prior to commencement of the Programme. The student will have successfully applied for a clinical secondment/sponsorship with a local Care Provider/employer prior to applying for this Programme.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course
Additional fee information
University of Derby
Clearing contact detailsNeed more information? Please get in touch.
Course contact detailsVisit our course page