Our BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering degree provides a strong theoretical and practical foundation for those looking to open the door to one of the many career opportunities available to mechanical engineers. With project-based learning throughout, you’ll develop the transferable skills and multidisciplinary awareness that are highly valued in industry. In your first year, you’ll get a grounding in the fundamental principles of applied mathematics and engineering sciences. What’s more, you’ll also get straight into the practical side of things, with a design-and-build challenge. You’ll develop scientific and analytical skills as you study specialisms like solid and fluid mechanics, dynamics, thermodynamics and engineering mathematics. And with project work that’s rooted in our research and shaped around industry, you’ll learn how to apply those skills to real-world engineering. FEATURES AND BENEFITS:
- This degree is also available with a Foundation Year. This means if you have the potential to study at degree level, but you don’t meet the entry requirements, you can choose to study a foundation year which will help you prepare for entry into Year 1.
- Tackle real challenges from the world of engineering. Every year, we invite businesses and academic colleagues to set live projects that challenge our students to devise innovative solutions to current problems. You’ll get feedback and advice directly from industry insiders – giving you the chance to find out exactly what it takes to impress a potential future employer.
- Showcase your engineering and design skills in extra-curricular group projects like the Formula Student racing car competition or the Engineering For People Design Challenge.
- Spend your third year on an industry placement by taking our four-year route.
- You may be invited to publish the results of your individual and group work in the Department of Engineering Student Society’s peer-reviewed journal and to present your final project work at the Department’s degree show.
- This degree course shares a common first and second year with our MEng degree in Mechanical Engineering and a common first year with our MEng and BEng degrees in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, so you may be able to transfer between courses.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
GCSE grade C/4 in English Language or Level 2 Functional Skills English and GCSE grade C/4 in Mathematics or Level 2 Functional Skills Mathematics The level 2 requirements may also be met through the level 3 course requirements for the course; please contact the University directly if you require further information.
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course