The international tourism industry is a dynamic, changing sector and graduates of this course will be equipped with the creative tourism management skills and knowledge to allow them to adapt and be successful in this diverse business environment. The course is accredited by the Tourism Management Institute (TMI) and the Tourism Society, the professional bodies for tourism management in the UK. This degree has been specifically designed to meet the needs of tourism employers and to provide you with the qualifications and skills necessary for real-world success and a distinct advantage in an increasingly competitive careers market. There is also the option to complete a year’s work placement to prepare you for your future career. In previous years students have participated in at least one optional study trip to a European destination*. The programme team also aims to provide a regional or national study trip annually to a tourism attraction or similar destination. By studying at the University of Northampton, you can be sure that:
- You will experience student life at the University’s £330 million Waterside Campus. Come along to an Open Day and find out more.
- Students enrolling on this course at Northampton will be provided with their own brand new laptop** to keep at no additional cost. All sports clubs and societies are free to join at Northampton and every essential course text book is available via the library, meaning you won’t have to purchase copies. For more information on this visit our website (northampton.ac.uk/benefits).
- Based on the evidence available, the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) Panel judged that the University of Northampton delivers consistently outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for its students. It is of the highest quality found in the UK.
- Our expert academics teach in small groups supported with one to one assistance. Our academics and students form a tight bond, providing individualised support and guidance whilst challenging students academically.
- We invest more money into your education than 90% of Universities in the UK***
- Whatever your ambitions, we’re here to help you to achieve them. We’ll support you to identify the skills you’re learning during your course, find your strengths and secure practical experience so that when it comes to applying for jobs or further study you’ll feel confident in standing out from the crowd.
- In fact, we’re so confident in our careers and employability support that if you achieve at least a 2:2 degree and complete either our Employability Plus Gold programme or achieve a Changemaker Gold Certificate during your time studying with us, but still haven’t secured full-time employment 12 months after graduating, we will secure a three – six month paid internship for you or support you into postgraduate study.
STAGE 1 • Tourism Impacts and Sustainability (compulsory) • The Events Industry (compulsory) • Service Industry Decision Making (compulsory) • International Tourism: Concepts and Trends (compulsory) • Professional Development for Tourism and Events (compulsory) • Entrepreneurship for Tourism and Events (compulsory) STAGE 2 • Managing Visitor Attractions (compulsory) • Tourism Management and Development (compulsory) • International Resort and Spa Management (compulsory) • Events and Tourism Research (compulsory) • Responsible Tourism (compulsory) • Learning Through Work (WBL) (designated) • Development Through Work (designated) • Career Development and Employability (designated) OPTIONAL PLACEMENT YEAR • The Placement Year Experience: Organisations in Context (compulsory) STAGE 3 • Research Project (compulsory) • Professional Consultancy Project (compulsory) • Innovation in Tourism & Hospitality Management (compulsory) • International Destination Management for Tourism and Hospitality (compulsory) • Mega Events (compulsory) • Service Excellence Design (compulsory) Module information is quoted for 20/21 entry. Please note that modules run subject to student numbers and staff availability, any changes will be communicated to applicants accordingly.
A variety of individual and group based assessments are used including: • written reports • client briefs • presentation • portfolio • examinations.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
Please select a course option – you will then see the application code you need to use to apply for the course.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|