This Geology Certificate in Higher Education has been designed with flexibility in mind. It will allow you to explore the Earth Sciences and take modules from the range of fields within the subject, including the structure of the Earth, volcanoes, earthquakes and fossils. You will have the opportunity to build a portfolio of subjects based on your needs and interests and to take part in a geology field class. Whether you want to study geology for your own interest, to enhance your career or to pursue a degree in the subject after completing this course, this certificate can be taken as a stand-alone qualification or as a starting point for the BSc Planetary Exploration with Astronomy and Astrobiology. Our Geology Certificate in Higher Education allows you to be flexible in your learning so you can fit your study around work or other commitments. You can choose to study through in-person teaching at our campus in the heart of London, via distance learning or a mixture of both. Highlights
- We offer you flexible teaching methods, balancing face-to-face and online learning.
- Field trip opportunity to geological site in Pembrokeshire.
- We are part of the joint UCL-Birkbeck Institute of Earth and Planetary Sciences (IEPS) meaning we share laboratories, expertise and events, all open to students for research projects.
- Birkbeck was rated in the top 25 universities in the UK for its Earth Systems and Environmental Science research in the 2021 Research Excellence Framework.
- We have been offering evening study courses in the subjects of earth and planetary sciences for over 70 years and distance learning for more than 20 years.
- engineering geologist
- higher education lecturer.
For information about course structure and the moules you will be studying, please visit Birkbeck’s online prospectus.
A combination of reports on field-based projects, laboratory work and written examinations. Some modules include continuous assessment through written work.
How to apply
To apply for this course you will be taken to the provider's website, where you can find out more information and make an application.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests. If you don’t meet the minimum IELTS requirement, we offer pre-sessional English courses, foundation programmes and language support services to help you improve your English language skills and get your place at Birkbeck.
We welcome applicants without traditional entry qualifications as we base decisions on our own assessment of qualifications, knowledge and previous work experience. We may waive formal entry requirements based on judgement of academic potential.
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course