The world's energy demands must balance the increasing energy needs of an expanding global population with the challenges of transitioning to a net-zero future. The evolving energy sector needs skilled practitioners who are adept at environmentally-sensitive energy generation. Our course prepares you to develop energy solutions and be a driving force for a sustainable mixed-energy economy This innovative course has been designed to produce world-class graduates with the transferable skills to actively contribute to the global energy transition, have the ability to address climate change and the expertise to integrate emerging and conventional technologies. You will consider a variety of energy sources, with your main focus being on how to responsibly obtain energy from the Earth and how we employ geological resources to mitigate global warming. The course studies all aspects of the GeoEnergy sector including energy exploration and production, environmental impact assessment, and protecting the climate while powering the economy and providing for society. The course is taught by our research-active teaching team as well as by industry experts bringing you the latest practises and developments from the GeoEnergy sector.
- Study a programme recognised for its high standards of teaching - our MSc is accredited by The Geological Society
- Gain knowledge of the broad GeoEnergy sector
- Achieve an understanding of locating and evaluating subsurface geoenergy sources
- Apply your knowledge of related energy options to prepare for the carbon-neutral transition, such as geothermal energy and carbon capture, utilisation and storage
- Acquire experience in the use of a wide range of industry software in the fields of: seismic interpretation, GIS, petrophysics, gravity & magnetics, reservoir/fluid modelling
- Gain practical skills (such as core logging and wireline log interpretation) that enhance employability
- Learn to communicate effectively to peers, managers and the public in order to disseminate accurate information and thereby enable informed dialogues during the integrated energy transition
- Collaborate on live projects with UK Geoenergy Observatories to put your skills into practice
- Be able to provide solutions which carefully balance providing affordable and sustainable energy with enhancing social, economic, and environmental prosperity
- Study content aligned to the priorities of global initiatives, such as the UK Net Zero strategy, and United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals
- Work with our research-active teaching team who have a wealth of experience in renewable energy, climate change, and conventional and unconventional hydrocarbons
Please note that our modules are subject to change - we review the content of our courses regularly, making changes where necessary to improve your experience and graduate prospects.
Learning and teaching methods will vary between modules. The course is delivered face-to-face, by University lecturers and industry experts, and learning materials can be accessed online. You will be assessed on written reports and essays, oral presentations, independent and group assessments practical exercises, including mastery of industry-standard software suites.
We typically require at least a 2:1 Honours degree in Geology or a closely related subject, such as Geophysics with Geology. Your application may also be considered if you have relevant work experience. International students should have the above or an international equivalent. If English is not your first language, you will need to hold IELTS 6.0 or above.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£10575*||Year 1|
*This is a provisional fee and subject to change.