Mathematics is the key to robust financial management across a multitude of industries spanning both the public and private sector. Demand for employees with a sound financial perspective backed-up with mathematics skills comes from multiple sectors – from business and technology to financial services and IT – and the career options available are varied. Finance professionals often go on to become business leaders, thanks to the skills they develop in analysis, management, prioritisation, problem-solving and commercial awareness. Studying a financial mathematics degree at Leeds will give you a firm foundation in the theory and applications of mathematics and business finance, as well as specific disciplines such as accounting and economics. Analytical and mathematical skills are highly valued by employers and this course provides an integrated approach which fully prepares you for a career in the finance industry. You'll focus on mathematics, including modules in financial mathematics covering mathematical modelling of financial and insurance markets, as well as pure, applied and statistical mathematics modules. As you progress, you’ll have more flexibility and choice, allowing you to explore your particular areas of interest. Here at Leeds, we understand the importance finance and mathematics have in everyday life, which is why we have one of the largest mathematics research departments in the UK and our courses are shaped by the latest thinking. This course is delivered jointly by the School of Mathematics and the Leeds University Business School, equipping you with the relevant knowledge, skills and experience you need to begin your career in finance. Why study at Leeds:
- The programme covers many of the first-level exams for the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, enabling you to take steps towards qualifying as an actuary.
- Our School’s globally-renowned research feeds into the course, shaping your learning with the latest thinking in areas such as probability and financial mathematics, modern applied statistics and analysis.
- Learn from expert academics and researchers who specialise in a variety of mathematical and financial areas.
- Academic staff provide you with regular feedback and advice throughout your degree, with small tutorial groups supporting the teaching in the first year.
- Access excellent facilities and computing equipment, complemented by social areas, communal problem-solving spaces and quiet study rooms.
- Broaden your experience and enhance your career prospects with our industrial placement opportunities or study abroad programmes.
- Our Financial Mathematics BSc and Actuarial Mathematics BSc degrees share a common first year, allowing you to move from one programme to the other until the end of your first year.
- Make the most of your time at Leeds by joining our student society MathSoc where you can meet more of your peers, enjoy social events and join the MathSoc football or netball team.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
Please select a course option – you will then see the application code you need to use to apply for the course.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
GCSE: C/4 in English Language
Please click the following link to find out more about qualification requirements for this course
English language requirements
IELTS: 6.0 overall with no less than 5.5 in any one component.
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course