University of Derby has opted into the TEF and received a Gold award.
Course information If you are excited by the idea of using mathematics to solve real business problems, this degree could be for you. It’s challenging, rewarding and opens doors to a wide range of career choices, from business and finance to engineering, data science and teaching. You will develop your knowledge of mathematical methods and techniques and get the chance to apply these to real problems through projects and placements. KEY FEATURES OF THE COURSE:
- RANKINGS: Our Mathematics subject area is ranked 2nd in the UK for satisfaction with the course, and 6th in the UK for student satisfaction with teaching (The Guardian University Guide 2021). The subject area is also ranked as 4th in the UK for student experience (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021).
- ACCREDITATION: This pathway is also accredited by the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (IMA), which is a quality mark for mathematics degrees. It means that when you graduate from this degree, you will be accepted for associate membership of IMA, which is your first step towards becoming a Chartered Mathematician (C.Math).
- WORKING WITH INDUSTRY: In year two, you’ll work on a real problem set by an employer. You’ll also get the chance to take a year in industry as well as to study and work abroad for a semester, which will broaden your experience and boost your employment prospects.
- VIBRANT COMMUNITY: You’ll join a friendly community including our enthusiastic Mathematics Society and research-active lecturers. You’ll have the opportunity to get involved with research projects which our teaching team are working on.
- PRACTICAL SKILLS: You will build vital transferable skills such as problem-solving, communication, digital skills, teamwork and networking.
- OPTIONAL PLACEMENT YEAR: Gain valuable experience in industry by taking an optional placement year between years two and three.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
English language requirements
IELTS overall score at a minimum of 6.0; with at least IELTS 5.5 in each band (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing) or another Secure English Language Test(SELT)at CEFR level B2 or above
The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data. For further information, see the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Republic of Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
University of Derby