Want to combine your interest in sport with a career in education? Covering practical and academic skills, this course offers a smooth transition to teacher training and roles in sport environments. KEY FEATURES OF THE COURSE:
- INDUSTRY APPROVED: We have developed this course in consultation with key stakeholders from both the sports industry and the education sector so that it matches employers’ needs. You’ll engage with our extensive professional networks, including opportunities for work experience, coaching practice and industry-backed research.
- PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE: Our links with sports clubs, schools, colleges, and local authorities will open doors for you to undertake work placements, coaching practice and research. You’ll also get involved in delivering sport sessions to groups of different ages and abilities; an experience that will help you stand out in the job market.
- ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS: Enhance your skills portfolio and take part in additional training to add further professional qualifications to your CV, including coaching badges and other awards given by the national governing bodies for specific sports.
- COMPREHENSIVE LEARNING: Discover vital insights into the importance of the sport coach as an educator, drawing on disciplines such as educational psychology and human development.
- HEAR FROM THE PROFESSIONALS: We regularly invite professional coaches, elite athletes and education specialists to deliver guest lectures and share their remarkable experiences with you.
- EXPERT TEACHING: You’ll learn from highly qualified experts who boast a wealth of professional experience – tutors who themselves combine education and sport every day in their work.
- You’ll study core modules in Sport and Education, to provide you with a fundamental understanding and the practical skills and experiences to work within a sport and education environment. You’ll then go on to advance your knowledge of the principles of training and have the opportunity to apply this within community initiatives. In your final year, learning how to be adaptive and manage behaviour will prepare you for a dynamic, hands-on career in sport education.
- A variety of assessment methods are used during the course, which include essays, written and practical exams, reports, portfolios, and presentations. In addition to final module assessments, you will receive feedback on your performance throughout the course enabling learning and progression.
- Discover a wide range of career opportunities when you graduate from this course – you can opt to take one of the many routes into teaching sport and physical education by completing the PGCE relevant to the age group you’d like to teach, or you may choose to work in sport development or coaching environments.
- This course is available with a Foundation Year option.
- This course is also available with an Industrial Placement Year.
How to apply
This course has limited vacancies, and is no longer accepting applications from some students. See the list below for where you normally live, to check if you’re eligible to apply.
Republic of Ireland
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
English language requirements
IELTS overall score at a minimum of 6.0; with at least IELTS 5.5 in each band (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing) or another Secure English Language Test(SELT)at CEFR level B2 or above
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Republic of Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|