On this course you develop essential journalistic skills in a multimedia context. You explore key theoretical issues and debates about journalism and news production in relation to contemporary media, culture and society. We focus on fast-changing developments in journalism and media studies. This MA combines both theory and practice. You will:
- learn to research and write for print and digital media, as well as subediting and print news design
- contextualise journalistic practice within a theoretical framework of journalism and media studies
- understand transitional processes in the news landscape at local, regional and global level
- understand current theories and debates surrounding the media and society.
We regularly review our modules to incorporate student feedback, staff expertise, as well as the latest research and teaching methodology. We’re planning to run these modules in the academic year 2022/23. However, there may be changes to these modules in response to COVID-19, staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity. Core modules Core modules are taken by all students on the course. They give you a solid grounding in your chosen subject and prepare you to explore the topics that interest you most.
- Digital Journalism
- Media Theory and Research
- Media, Law and Ethics
- Digital Features
- Global News Industries B
- Dissertation (Journalism)
- Journalism Project
- Activist Media Practice
- Media, Culture and Communication
- New Developments in Digital Media
- Photography: Documentary, Landscape, Politics
Degree requirements: You should normally have an upper second-class (2.1) undergraduate honours degree or above. Subject-specific requirements: Your qualification should be in a relevant social sciences or humanities subject. You can also apply for the course if you don’t have the academic qualifications required, but can show relevant professional/creative skills and experience. For more information about our entry requirements and English language requirements, please visit our website.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course