Our International Business teaching recognises the ethnocentric nature of management theory and practice and embraces an understanding of business activity and communications, both within different cultures and across cultures. You will be exposed to other cultures and will have the opportunity to analyse current cross-cultural issues, as well as the chance to develop your cultural intelligence, cross-cultural communication, management and leadership skills. If you choose to study International Business you will benefit from several foreign trips (a total of five weeks away over the first two years*) with our experienced teaching team, who are themselves from a variety of cultures and have many years of international experience living and working abroad. This opportunity will provide you with a greater understanding of the subject by having the chance to apply your learning to real-life experiences whilst travelling abroad. The course equips you with the core knowledge and skills in people, operational information, technology and supply chain management as well as international marketing, finance and accounting, all within an international context. You will focus on business practices, primarily in Europe and Asia, with tools and techniques that can be applied worldwide. There is also the option to complete a year’s work placement to prepare you for your future career. By studying at the University of Northampton, you can be sure that:
- You will experience student life at the University’s £330 million Waterside Campus. Come along to an Open Day and find out more.
- Students enrolling on this course at Northampton will be provided with their own brand new laptop** to keep at no additional cost. All sports clubs and societies are free to join at Northampton and every essential course text book is available via the library, meaning you won’t have to purchase copies. For more information visit northampton.ac.uk/benefits.
- Based on the evidence available, the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) Panel judged that the University of Northampton delivers consistently outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for its students. It is of the highest quality found in the UK.
- Our expert academics teach in small groups supported with one to one assistance. Our academics and students form a tight bond, providing individualised support and guidance whilst challenging students academically.
- We invest more money into your education than 90% of Universities in the UK***
- Whatever your ambitions, we’re here to help you to achieve them. We’ll support you to identify the skills you’re learning during your course, find your strengths and secure practical experience so that when it comes to applying for jobs or further study you’ll feel confident in standing out from the crowd.
- We’re so confident in our careers and employability support that If you achieve at least a 2:2 degree and complete either our Employability Plus Gold programme or achieve a Changemaker Gold Certificate during your time studying with us, but still haven’t secured full-time employment 12 months after graduating, we will secure a three – six month paid internship for you or support you into postgraduate study.
STAGE ONE • Social Impact of International Organisations (compulsory) • International Business in Practice (compulsory) • International Trade and Commerce (compulsory) • Working Across Cultures (compulsory) • Intercultural Management (compulsory) STAGE TWO • International Strategy (compulsory) • Data and Decision Making (compulsory) • FDI and MNES (compulsory) • Organisational Challenges in International Business (compulsory) • Reflections on International Business (compulsory) OPTIONAL PLACEMENT YEAR • The Placement Year Experience: Organisations in Context (compulsory) STAGE THREE • International Business Project (compulsory) • Social Responsibility in Practice (compulsory) • Contemporary Issues in International Business (compulsory) • Trade and Trade Blocs (compulsory) • Negotiating Across Cultures (compulsory) Module information is quoted for 20/21 entry. Please note that modules run subject to student numbers and staff availability, any changes will be communicated to applicants accordingly.
A variety of assessment methods will be used – from business reports, individual and team projects and student-led seminars, essays, case study analyses and examinations. Many modules also use multi-choice tests and portfolio style assessments.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
Please select a course option – you will then see the application code you need to use to apply for the course.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data. For further information, see the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
University of Northampton
The University of Northampton
Clearing contact details
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
0300 303 2772