You relish sport’s ability to bring joy and to improve the mind and body. You have a true passion for sport coaching, helping others discover the physical, mental and social wellbeing impacts of sport. Here you can discover a like-minded community of sports enthusiasts. This sport coaching and physical education degree, accredited by CIMSPA, is designed so you can be supported by our expert lecturers to confidently step into your ideal future career and gain the knowledge to make a difference. What’s more, our sport courses are ranked 1st in the North West for continuation and 2nd in the North West for Career Prospects (Guardian University Guide 2023 Results). Course Overview On this course, you'll examine the theory of physical education, sport and coaching science across education, leisure and community sectors. You’ll build on this with a focus on teaching and coaching. A learn-and-do ethos will see teaching complemented by practical sessions whilst experience in schools, clubs and community groups will provide real-world application. Completing 50 hours of work experience throughout this sport coaching degree will prove invaluable for your CV. You’ll receive the support of industry-sourced professionals and have access to facilities including a sports hall and performance laboratories, Salt Ayre Leisure Centre and Brathay Hall and Estate. You may be eligible for additional qualifications including coaching awards. Fast-track your job hunt with our industry links, which include professional sport clubs and national governing bodies of sport. You’ll have numerous career options upon graduation including sport coaching, teaching, sport development, performance analysis and event management. On this course you will:
- Gain academic and vocational key skills through both classroom and community engagement projects linked to specific modules.
- Be taught in small class sizes which means you get to know your class and tutors well, allowing you to feel supported during your studies.
- Gain CIMSPA accreditation boosting your graduate prospects and gain free qualifications recognised by industry during your studies.
- Have access to an extensive range of partner organisations in sport including Active Cumbria, Active Lancashire and Golf England facilitating learning opportunities, guest speakers and placements.
- Follow the successes of our graduates who have pursued careers in PE teaching, sport development, event management, high-performance coaching and community coaching roles.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
GCSE English and Maths at grade C/4
Additional entry requirements
Criminal records declaration (DBS/Disclosure Scotland)
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding