Our Transport Planning MSc will equip you with the knowledge and planning techniques to help you develop transport networks and systems that are founded on robust evidence, sustainable and equitable social principles, state-of-the-art modelling, accurate data analysis, and a profound understanding of travel behaviour. You’ll also develop the tools to help address global challenges such as equitable development and climate change mitigation and reduction through the development of safe and efficient city transport networks and mass public transport. Working with leading researchers at Institute of Transport Studies you’ll learn about policy, travel behaviour, modelling, data analysis, land use planning, and public transport planning and management using research and evidence from around the world. The course also addresses the multi-disciplinary nature of transport – enabling you to make effective decisions for clients, employers and society. Studying in the Institute of Transport Studies at Leeds will give you a unique head start in your career in transport. The course has been designed following close consultation with industry practices and is shaped by our impactful and topical research, delivered by leading researchers with an international reputation – so you’ll be learning the most up-to-date and relevant information throughout the course. Why study at Leeds:
- Learn the latest innovations in sustainable transport planning and beyond from our Institute for Transport Studies’ world-leading research conducted right here on campus that feeds directly into the course.
- Advance your knowledge and skill set in critical areas of transport planning including hands-on experience in collecting and evaluating data: the key to good transport planning.
- Tailor the course to suit your career aspirations with a wide selection of optional modules in areas such as such as road safety, traffic network modelling, public transport planning, traffic management and more to hone your knowledge and specialise in topics that interest you the most.
- Build industry experience collaborating on a multi-disciplinary team project with students from other degree specialisms that focuses on a real-world transport problem posed by Leeds City Council and/or choosing our optional four-month industrial placement scheme.
- Familiarise yourself with industry-standard models and techniques such as AIMSUN, VISSIM, SATURN, spatial analysis using GIS and systems dynamics.
- Experience expert theoretical and practical teaching delivered by a programme team made up of researchers and academics from the Institute for Transport Studies who have extensive expertise across a variety of transport disciplines.
- Enhance your career prospects by building your industry work experience before you graduate with work placements and project work throughout your course.
- Take advantage of our close working relationships with big organisations in industry such as ARUP, AECOM and Transport for London who actively advertise and recruit directly from the Institute of Transport Studies.
- This course offers flexible study options where you can study full-time over 12 months or part-time over 24 or 36 months to fit in with your lifestyle.
Assessment is equally varied and can include coursework essays, case-study reports, group assignments, posters, presentations and exams.
A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) in a relevant subject such as geography, town planning, earth and environment, architecture, sustainability, logistics, business and management, psychology, social policy, history, politics or public administration. Graduates from other disciplines and those with professional experience plus experience in the sector will also be considered. We accept a range of international equivalent qualifications.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course