Overview The BSc Midwifery at the University of Worcester is a highly evaluated, successful programme which provides excellent teaching and clinical practice experiences. Midwives enjoy the unique privilege of a career caring for mother, their babies and the whole family. At Worcester, you will not only gain the skills and experience needed to become a confident, competent and caring midwife, you will also develop the intellectual tools to help you shape the future direction of the profession by generating new ideas and evaluating innovative ways of working. The teaching team is dedicated to supporting students and constantly strive to further their academic careers thereby maintaining excellence in their field. Students consistently receive positive feedback on performance and professional conduct from women and their families. Key Features
- Emphasis is on learning in diverse, supportive practice learning environments, with 50% of the course embedded in practice
- 45 week course with 7 weeks designated holiday each year
- UNICEF Baby Friendly Initiative accredited course
- Opportunity to complete either a UK or international elective placement
- Skills and simulation centre provides the opportunity to safely and confidently practice midwifery interventions
- Technology Enhanced Learning is a feature of each theoretical module enabling flexible learning when appropriate
- We utilise an Enquiry Based Learning approach within some of our modules. This promotes student learning beyond content, but also professional behaviours and development of important, relevant skills. The learning here is based on clinical scenario’s which have been developed with our service users.
- Our lecturers are experienced midwives who are supported by professionals from the midwifery service giving you access to specialist knowledge in a range of areas including perinatal mental health, bereavement, genomics and leadership.
- Visiting lecturers including experienced and senior clinical midwives and patients, their families and carers.
- On successful completion of the BSc Midwifery course, students will be eligible to apply for registration as a Midwife with the Nursing and Midwifery Council.
- Shortlisted for Times Higher Education’s University of the Year in 2016, 2019 and 2020
- Top 5 in the UK for Quality Education in Times Higher Education’s University Impact Rankings 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022
- Sustainability Institution of the Year in the Green Gown Awards 2019
- Top 10 for Sustained Employment - Longitudinal Educational Outcomes survey (2017)
For a breakdown of the modules you'll study each year visit our course page. You can do this by scrolling to the bottom of this page and selecting 'Visit our course page'.
For detailed information about assessment, feedback, teaching and contact time visit our course page. You can do this by scrolling to the bottom of this page and selecting 'Visit our course page'.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
The University of Worcester accepts all qualifications within the Tariff, and normally looks for the equivalent of 3 A levels. More information can be found at http://www.worcester.ac.uk/journey/entry-requirements.html
Additional entry requirements
Criminal records declaration (DBS/Disclosure Scotland)
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
*This is a provisional fee and subject to change.