Birkbeck, University of London has opted into the TEF and received a Silver award.
Our BSc Economics is designed to provide you with a core of rigorous, technically demanding, yet applications-oriented, skills in economics. You will acquire the knowledge and skills needed to equip you for professions requiring economic literacy and the analytical tools expected from a top economics degree. This is a rigorous course that combines an open admissions policy with high standards. Where there are gaps in your previous education we will fill those gaps, but you will also achieve the same standard of training in the core skills of economics as in any other economics degree. HIGHLIGHTS
- The Department of Economics, Mathematics and Statistics brings together research and teaching in economics, finance, mathematics and statistics in a single department which creates significant interdisciplinary synergies.
- We have an excellent reputation for the quality of our teaching, providing training for employers such as the Treasury and the Bank of England.
- In the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF), more than half of our research outputs in Economics were ranked world-leading or internationally excellent.
- You will be taught by academics who are professional practitioners in the world of economics and international finance, and who provide specialist advice and in-house training for government departments and City firms and banks.
- The research of our academics, many of whom are recognised as world-class experts in their fields, feeds directly into our teaching programmes. As a student you can be certain that your tutors are actively working to extend the boundaries of knowledge.
For information about course structure and the modules you will be studying, please visit Birkbeck’s online prospectus.
The usual methods of assessment are unseen two-hour or three-hour examinations, in-class tests, assessed take-home assignments, project work, and classroom presentations and group discussions.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
Please select a course option – you will then see the application code you need to use to apply for the course.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests. If you don’t meet the minimum IELTS requirement, we offer pre-sessional English courses, foundation programmes and language support services to help you improve your English language skills and get your place at Birkbeck.
We welcome applicants without traditional entry qualifications as we base decisions on our own assessment of qualifications, knowledge and previous work experience. We may waive formal entry requirements based on judgement of academic potential. FOUNDATION YEAR DEGREES If you need extra support before starting an undergraduate degree, we offer a BSc Economics with Foundation Year degree, which provides an extra year of supported study. This is an ideal route if you are returning to study after a gap, or if you have not previously studied this subject, or if you did not achieve the grades you need for a place on this degree. Once you successfully complete the Foundation Year, you will automatically advance onto the main degree. ALTERNATIVE ENTRY ROUTES If you are returning to study, the Certificate of Higher Education in Economics or in Higher Education Introductory Studies are accepted as an entry requirement onto the BSc if you successfully complete the designated modules to the appropriate standard. If you pass the modules Economic Principles and Quantitative Economic Methods with a pass rate of 60% or above, you can apply for admission to our BSc Economics, BSc Financial Economics or BSc Finance with Accounting programmes.
Please click the following link to find out more about qualification requirements for this course
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|