**Please note that the information provided relates to the current academic year and is subject to change without notice by Sheffield Hallam University. Please check the Sheffield Hallam University website for the latest information.** Course summary:
- Learn the underpinning science, maths and engineering principles to be a successful practitioner in the automotive industry.
- Gain an appreciation of the wider multidisciplinary engineering context.
- Understand the economic, environmental and social implications of automotive production.
- Become an expert in vehicle-specific systems and their safe operation.
- engineering workshops
- laboratory work
- Formula Student – where you design and build a race car and race it at Silverstone, home of the British Grand Prix
- the Heavy Lift Challenge – which involves designing and building a remote-controlled aircraft
- Engineers Without Borders – a competition to find an engineering solution to a problem in the developing world
Module and assessment information for future years is displayed as currently validated and may be liable to change. When selecting electives, your choices will be subject to the core requirements of the course. As a result, selections may be limited to a choice between one of two or more specified electives in some instances. You will be able to complete a placement year as part of this course. Year 1 - Compulsory modules Applied Engineering Mathematics Materials And Manufacturing Engineering Mechanical Engineering Design And C.A.D. Principles Of Solid Mechanics And Dynamics Principles Of Thermodynamics And Fluid Mechanics Vehicle Engineering Practice And Automotive Electrical System Year 2 - Compulsory modules Applied Solid Mechanics And Dynamics Maths And Control Professional Practice Vehicle Aerodynamics And Thermodynamics Vehicle Component Designs Vehicle Technology Year 3 - Optional modules Placement Year Final year - Compulsory modules Engineering Project Management And Individual Project Performance Engines And Technologies Vehicle Body Design And Styling Vehicle Dynamics And Structural Analysis Vehicle Production
• Coursework • Examination
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Mechanical Engineers, Institution of
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
This course may be available at alternative locations, please check if other course options are available
• EdExcel/BTEC/SCOTVEC National Certificate or Diploma in a science or technology-based subject, including merit grades in mathematics and two other science or technology-based modules at NIII level • Foundation - pass from the Extended Degree Programme Engineering and Mathematics or other suitable science or technology-based Foundation Please note the University will only admit students who are aged 18 or over at the point of enrolment.
Please click the following link to find out more about qualification requirements for this course
Additional entry requirements
Please note that the information provided on this web page relates to 2022 courses and is subject to change without notice by Sheffield Hallam University.
English language requirements
|IELTS (Academic)||6||If English is not your first language, you will need an IELTS score of 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in all skills, or equivalent.|
If your English language skill is currently below IELTS 6.0 we recommend you consider a Sheffield Hallam University Pre-sessional English course which will enable you to achieve an equivalent English score.
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|
|Republic of Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Scholarships, discounts and bursaries may be available to students who study this course.
Sheffield Hallam University
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
Student Recruitment Operations Team
(+44) 0114 225 5533