University of Leicester has opted into the TEF and received a Silver award.
The hand of the law. The power of politics. Creating societal change often requires law and politics to work together. In this degree, you’ll study public policy in its legal context and gain the skills to work in firms with governmental interests. The Law with Politics LLB is delivered cooperatively by Leicester Law School and Politics and International Relations at Leicester. You will receive expert teaching in both disciplines and gain knowledge of both legal and governmental systems. This is a joint honours course, in which Law modules make up 75% of the content, with Politics modules accounting for the other 25%. You can broaden your perspective with a year studying overseas, or make a difference by giving free legal advice to real clients through our Pro-Bono group. We will also encourage you to build practical skills through our award-winning extracurricular activities. By studying politics and law, you will be able to place the process of implementing public policy in its legal context. As such, you will gain the skills and knowledge required of firms with governmental interests. This degree will be of particular interest to those wishing to gain knowledge of the relationship between politics, law and society. A qualifying law degree equips you with the academic skills required for a career as a solicitor or barrister and also makes you a highly desirable graduate in a range of other professions. At Leicester we offer a cosmopolitan, friendly and supportive environment in which to study this fascinating subject.
In your first year you will be introduced to the fundamentals of the legal system and develop your key legal skills. Your politics education will begin with the major political systems and ideologies. In your second year, you continue to build on the core aspects of law while gaining more freedom in your political learning. A range of optional modules are available for you to choose from and pursue the areas of politics that interest you. If you want to, you can spend your third year studying abroad. Please note that a year spent abroad still incurs a tuition fee, but this is much lower than for a normal year at Leicester. See our Fees and Funding section for details. In final year, your degree will conclude with more essential law topics. You will gain even greater flexibility. A wide range of law and politics modules will be available so you can adapt your degree to your particular interests and strengths. For further information please see our website.
Assessment methods are varied. They can include assessed essays/coursework, exams and multiple choice question papers. Professional legal writing - for example, writing a letter of advice to a client - is also built into our curriculum and you will start developing these practical skills from your very first year with us.
How to apply
If your application is completed by the following date, it’s guaranteed to be considered:
15 January*If you apply after this deadline, universities or colleges don’t have to consider your application if they’ve filled their spaces, so the sooner you apply, the better!
You will need these codes when you add a choice to your application.
|Campus name||Main Site|
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
|Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)||D*D*D||Must have a strong GCSE background.|
|Access to HE Diploma||D: 30 credits M: 15 credits||Pass relevant diploma with 45 credits at Level 3.|
|Scottish Higher||Qualification accepted. Please contact the Admissions Team for further information: [email protected]|
|Scottish Advanced Higher||AAB|
|International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme||33 points||Plus grade 4 in Standard Level English required if not held at GCSE.|
|Welsh Baccalaureate - Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate (first teaching September 2015)||This qualification is only acceptable when combined with other qualifications|
|Extended Project||This qualification is only acceptable when combined with other qualifications|
|Leaving Certificate - Higher Level (Ireland) (first awarded in 2017)||Qualification accepted. Please contact the Admissions Team for further information: [email protected]|
|Cambridge International Pre-U Certificate - Principal||D3, D3, M2|
|OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma||D*D*D||Must have a strong GCSE background.|
GCSE English Language required at grade C/4 or above. When considering your application, we will look for evidence that you will be able to fulfil the objectives of the programme of study and achieve the standards required. We will take into account a range of factors including previous examination results.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course