The hand of the law. The power of politics. Creating societal change often requires law and politics to work together. In this degree, you’ll study public policy in its legal context alongside the foundations of law required for professional qualification. In this way you will gain the skills to work in firms with governmental interests, as a barrister acting for or against government or at the heart of government, driving policy change with the authority of law and political theory behind you. The Law with Politics LLB is delivered cooperatively by Leicester Law School and Politics and International Relations at Leicester. You will receive expert teaching in both disciplines and gain knowledge of both legal and governmental systems. This is a joint honours course, in which Law modules make up 75% of the content, with Politics modules accounting for the other 25%. You will develop an understanding of theory, ethics and law to underpin a sophisticated understanding of the role that politics plays in upholding justice, and when it does not. You can broaden your perspective with a year studying overseas, or make a difference by giving free legal advice to real clients through our Pro-Bono group. We will also encourage you to build practical skills through our award-winning extracurricular activities. By studying politics and law, you will be able to place the implementation of public policy in its legal context. You will develop an understanding of the power of individuals and theories of the state as well as the laws that have been created through the political process. You will see how political structures influence the laws that you apply to real problems and the theory underpinning social responsibilities and relationships protected by law. As such, this degree will be of particular interest to those wishing to gain knowledge of the relationship between politics, law and society. In your final year you have access to a wide range of modules on legal, political, socio-legal and ethical topics. This law degree equips you with the academic skills required for a career as a solicitor or barrister and makes you a highly desirable graduate in a range of other professions. At Leicester we offer a cosmopolitan, friendly and supportive community in which to study this fascinating subject supported by experts and professionals in these closely related disciplines.
For more information on this course and a full list of modules, visit the course information page on our website
For more information on the methods of assessment on this course, visit the course information page on our website
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
GCSE English Language required at grade C/4 or above. When considering your application, we will look for evidence that you will be able to fulfil the objectives of the programme of study and achieve the standards required. We will take into account a range of factors including previous examination results.
Please click the following link to find out more about qualification requirements for this course
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|
|Republic of Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|