Our Psychological Research Methods course combines training in psychological theory with practical research skills development - a modern approach to studying mind and behaviour preparing you for a future career in psychology and psychology research. You’ll gain a thorough introduction to quantitative and qualitative research, the analysis and interpretation of data, and a critical, sceptical approach to psychological science. The unique feature of this course is flexibility - you’re free to investigate a wide range of topics across the discipline while maintaining a high standard of training. This encourages an understanding of different methods and perspectives within the field of Psychology helping you make choices which will benefit your future career. There are four degree pathways available: Child Development Cognition and Neuropsychology Evolutionary Psychology Perception and Action Opportunities for practical hands-on skills development are built in, ranging from low-tech observational assessment to high-tech eye-tracking. You’ll carry out a work placement, typically in an external company, charity or third sector organisation. This provides you with a fantastic opportunity to develop relevant work-based employment skills, and to develop a network of contacts relevant to your future career goals. Students benefit hugely from this experience, combining skills and experience with personal and professional development. You’ll be based in a dedicated MSc office, or within an appropriate research group, and allocated a peer mentor. You’ll also have an academic supervisor in Psychology who supports and guides your development, including your research dissertation project.
Modules include: Psychological research methods I and II; research methods in cognition and neuropsychology; advanced statistics; qualitative research methods; key skills for psychology researchers; research placement.
The individual module components provide 60 percent of the MSc grade, with the research dissertation contributing the remaining 40 percent.
A minimum of a 2nd Class Honours degree (2.1 preferred) or equivalent in a relevant subject. Applicants without these formal qualifications but with significant appropriate/relevant work/life experience are encouraged to apply. If English is not your first language you must have one of the following qualifications as evidence of your English language skills: IELTS: 6.0 with 5.5 minimum in each skill; Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE): Grade C; Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE): Grade C; Pearson Test of English (Academic): 54 with 51 in each component; IBT TOEFL: 80 with no subtest less than 17.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course
Additional fee information
For information on funding and scholarships, please see here: https://www.stir.ac.uk/study/fees-funding/postgraduate-loans-and-funding/
University of Stirling
Course contact detailsVisit our course page