Data science drives a significant proportion of global economic activity from healthcare to finance and technology. It's influencing scientific progress across numerous fields including bioscience, energy and telecommunications. This course provides you with the tools and strong mathematical foundation to become an industry expert. You'll gain an understanding of the balanced combination of science and technology required for delivering effective data science. You'll work with a dedicated team of computer scientists who have a wealth of experience from their professional backgrounds. You'll learn to understand and develop state-of-the art machine learning techniques, and will gain expertise in when to apply the best technique for the best results, in small and large data sets. Career prospects After graduation, you’ll be well placed to progress into a variety of careers in data science, from large-scale established commercial enterprises to innovative technology start-ups. You will also have acquired the essential foundation for further postgraduate study and research within related fields. Recent graduate roles include Data Scientist, Machine Learning Developer, Python Developer and Software Engineer. Project examples The research expertise in the department allows for a wide-range of subjects for your final project. Recent examples from Data Science students include:
- Deep learning in high frequency financial trading
- Spatiotemporal timing predictions in areas with a low density of public transport
- The impact of mindfulness meditation on multisensory transfer learning
- Work with a dedicated team of computer scientists who have a wealth of experience from their professional backgrounds.
- Learn to understand and develop state-of-the-art machine learning techniques.
- Gain expertise in when to apply the best technique for the best results, in small and large data sets.
- Be part of our supportive postgraduate community.
- Live and study in a beautiful world heritage city.
Semester 1 Applied data science Statistics for data science Machine learning 1 Software technologies for data science Semester 2 Applied data science Machine learning 2 Research project preparation Plus optional units Summer Dissertation
- Online resources
- Practical sessions
- Multiple choice examination
- Online assessment
- Practical work
- Written examination
To apply for this course your undergraduate degree can be in computer science with a strong mathematical focus, mathematics or any joint mathematics subject. Statistics, physics, astrophysics, engineering maths or other science degrees with sufficient baseline maths are also suitable. We'll also consider other subjects with sufficient maths content. Programming experience is an advantage. We may make an offer based on a lower grade if you can provide evidence of your suitability for the degree.
English language requirements
View English language requirements
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course
Additional fee information
University of Bath
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
+44 1225 38 5115