The relationship between politics and communications has never been more dynamic or more important than it is today. Digital media, particularly social media, is fundamentally changing the terrain of politics. This course allows you to study those interactions within an interdisciplinary environment, drawing on research and expertise from the fields of politics, international relations, information and communications, journalism and linguistics. You will study media and communications theory, plus the historical development of international relations and key issues in contemporary global politics, becoming an expert in how new communication technologies shape societies, politics and individual lives. The MA is available to complete in one year full-time or two years part-time. This course is available to study on campus (full-time or part-time) or online (part-time only). Features and Benefits
- An accessible masters degree - Suitable for many educational and professional backgrounds.
- Diverse and exciting coursework - You can present your work in a way that suits you, from traditional essays to reports, debates, blog posts and presentations.
- Real world experience - Learn from professional guest speakers from NGOs with political or activist backgrounds, whilst developing your own portfolio of political communication tools.
- Interdisciplinary - Study in an interdisciplinary environment, engaging with experts in politics, international relations, communication, journalism and linguistics.
- Academic expertise - You’ll be taught by experienced academics with a wealth of expertise in the fields of research, analysis and publication. You will also have regular access to external workshops, seminars and talent days.
- Public engagement - Explore opportunities to practice your academic knowledge in real-life scenarios, working with the public, including young people. This will allow you to gain employability experience in preparation for your graduate career.
- Study in Manchester - One of the UK’s most exciting digital cities is packed with creative companies on the lookout for talented graduates.
- An international perspective - This MA attracts students from all over the world, giving you the opportunity to make international contacts and gain a truly global perspective on the issues covered.
- Online distance learning - You can study this course part-time through online distance learning, allowing you to study remotely at a time that suits you, from the convenience of your home. Teaching and learning is tailored for distance-learning students; each week there is a set of asynchronous materials to work through and discuss with your peers and tutors. Our distance learning materials have been designed to be interactive and clear and include videocasts, narrated slideshows, digitised readings, interactive quizzes and forum discussions. As well as the tailored unit content, you will have access to our very well stocked library where you can digitally access copies of professional development books, various chapters and a great number of professional, academic journals.
You will normally have at least an upper second class undergraduate UK honours degree (or international equivalent) in a relevant subject, or equivalent academic qualification. If you have a different background you may be admitted if you have proven experience in a relevant field. Overseas applicants will require IELTS with an overall score of 6.5 with no less than 5.5 in any category, or an equivalent accepted English qualification.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course
Additional fee information
Manchester Metropolitan University
All Saints Building
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
0161 247 6969