What makes English Language and Sociology at Worcester special? Speech and Language are integral to our society. By studying English Language in conjunction with Sociology you will have the opportunity to develop a deep understanding of how and why we behave as we do and how we use language to maintain the world around us. This joint degree encourages you to see the world from different angles, discuss new ideas, and familiarise yourself with quantitative and qualitative methods of analysing data and linguistic choices. Additionally, you will be given the opportunity to obtain the Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA Award; subject to meeting specific criteria at the end of your second year) as part of your degree and you will become familiar with the theory and practice of applied language teaching. Key features
- Integrated Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA), enhancing your professional portfolio
- Hands-on approach to the study of the social impact of language using real data
- Teaching (English as a Foreign Language) practice in small group seminars
- Lively discussions and dynamic learning opportunities. Lectures are designed to be refreshing and stimulating to encourage creative thought
- Develop an understanding of the the relevance of social hierarchies, social institutions and social power in everyday life
- Learn from a constantly evolving curriculum which adapts to suit the society it is trying to study
- 20th for student experience and 23rd for teaching quality in the 2022 Sunday Times Good University Guide
- Shortlisted for Times Higher Education’s University of the Year in 2016, 2019 and 2020
- Top 3 in the UK for Quality Education in the 2019, 2020 and 2021 Times Higher Education’s University Impact Rankings
- Sustainability Institution of the Year in the Green Gown Awards 2019
- Top 10 for Sustained Employment - Longitudinal Educational Outcomes survey (2017)
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
If you have any questions about entry requirements, please contact the Admissions Office on 01905 855111 or email [email protected] for advice.
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250*||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250*||Year 1|
*This is a provisional fee and subject to change.
Additional fee information
University of Worcester
Clearing contact details
Clearing Contact Details
Course contact detailsVisit our course page