Our LLM in Legal Practice at the Bar brings together the essential practical skills and knowledge from our Bar Training Course (BTC) and masters-level legal research skills that can help you stand out in a competitive jobs market. Everything about the BTC element of the course is built to prepare you for life as a barrister. You'll work with other students in a mini chambers group, designed to mirror the real-life practices you'll face in a career at the bar. You’ll further prepare for the demands of the Bar with our innovative professional practice unit, under the mentorship of a practising Barrister. Meanwhile, the LLM advanced study element offers the chance for you to deepen your knowledge in a specialist area of the law. You’ll learn from a team that includes seasoned Barristers, Solicitors and Deputy District Judges, together with internationally renowned researchers and scholars. Combined with the strong links we’ve built with the legal profession, both locally and across the Northern Circuit, this is a very professionally-focused course. Put simply, if you want to get onto the path to practice, while building your legal research knowledge and skills, this is an ideal environment for developing the resilience, confidence and leadership you’ll need to thrive at the Bar or a related legal field. Features and Benefits
- Specialist facilities for Bar students – apply your skills in a realistic environment with our specialist facilities including chambers rooms, a legal library and mock court room.
- Funding available - if you’re a UK or EU resident, you may be eligible for the Postgraduate Loan Scheme.
- Flexible study – with full-time, part-time and flexible study options, you can take this course over one year or up to five years, letting you fit your studies around your commitments and plans.
- Explore professional practice – with a unit focused on building professional skills, you’ll explore the realities of working at the Bar with the mentoring support of a practising Barrister.
- A legal hub – Manchester has a dynamic legal sector, at the heart of the Northern Circuit of the Bar, home to a wide range of well-respected law firms.
- Professional lecture series – bridge the gap between student and professional life and prepare for the Bar, with regular guest lectures offering insight from seasoned professionals.
- Supportive community – the student Law Society brings together students from all stages of legal study for networking, guest lectures and social events.
- Legal experts – you’ll be taught by our team including leading academic specialists and practising professionals. They’re leaders in areas such as equality law, medical ethics and human rights.
To be considered for a place, you will normally have to satisfy two criteria: You will hold an LLB degree or have completed the GDL course. You will have obtained a pass in the Bar Aptitude Test. LLM in Legal Practice at the Bar students are selected primarily on academic ability and must have been awarded at least a 2:2 at first degree level, or international equivalent, although factors such as commitment to the profession, motivation and other skills will also be considered. All offers are subject to the condition that students successfully complete the academic stage of their training to the Bar Standards Board's satisfaction and have enrolled as a student member of one of the Inns of Court. Please note that from July 2021 requirements for being called to the Bar by an Inn of Court will include an additional criminal records check. For international students, this course requires IELTS of 7.5 in all elements of the test (or an equivalent English Language Proficiency test). Please note this is a requirement that differs from the University standard.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course
Additional fee information
Manchester Metropolitan University
All Saints Building
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
0161 247 6969