Placing an emphasis on engineering practice and its role within construction, Coventry University has a long-established reputation for the teaching of civil engineering and excellent links with employers, many of whom provide direct input into course development as members of our Civil Engineering Advisory Board. This course aims to develop the combination of technical, practical and managerial skills necessary to analyse, design and manage solutions for innovative and complex engineering problems as a basis for future leadership in the civil engineering profession. You will be taught by staff with academic and professional experience in the civil engineering and construction industries, having worked for companies such as Carillion, Hyder and Laing O’Rourke as principal, senior and management engineers. We also have a strong portfolio of industry-related research, ranging from applied technology, such instrumentation and measuring to pure innovative research, which ensures you stay abreast of new technologies and emerging issues. Teaching is highly practical; we draw on real-life case studies, such as Highways England’s TollBar Island underpass project in Coventry. You will also have the opportunity to use industry-standard software, such as MIDAS, Plaxis and ANSYS, which are widely used by design and consulting engineers. Our extensive industry links with companies including Hyder, Arup, MottMacDonald and Geotechnics Ltd provide significant opportunities to apply for professional placements (subject to application and availability). Past students have worked for Balfour Beatty Construction, Mott Macdonald, Severn Trent Water, Interserve Project Services, Warwickshire County Council, Atkins and Morgan Sindall. Key Course Benefits
- Expert visiting lecture programme which in the past has featured the chairman of Geotechnics Ltd.
- Accredited by the Joint Board of Moderators (JBM) as fully satisfying the educational base for a Chartered Engineer (CEng), and of an Incorporated Engineer (IEng).
- Access to the University’s Simulation Centre, which combines cutting-edge technology, the use of our Learning Curve interactive screen and real-life scenarios using specially-trained actors.
- Collaborative links with universities in 20 countries around the world, including Ryerson University Canada, Rennes University France and National University of Colombia, giving you the chance for you to spend part of your studies abroad (additional costs may apply).
Our main study themes are:
- Structural analysis and design: We will introduce you to the fundamental principles of structural mechanics, structural behavior of materials and mathematics for use in solving engineering problems, incorporating safety and sustainability considerations. As the course progresses, you will have the opportunity to cover more advanced theories of analysis for both statics and dynamics. The skill of using mathematics to develop engineering solutions to these advanced theories is essential and is embedded throughout.
- Engineering analysis: This covers the principles of construction material behaviour, soil mechanics and fluid mechanics. You will have the opportunity to develop an understanding of the various materials used in construction (such as concrete and cementitious materials, steel, other metals, timber, masonry components, polymers and emerging materials) and geomaterials (such as granular soils and clays), and their suitability for specific applications within the construction industry, while considering construction methods, safety and sustainability. You should also develop the necessary skills to interpret experimental data for use in solving engineering problems.
- Highways and surveying: We will cover principles of traffic and transportation analysis, highway design and alignment and highway construction. You will also have the opportunity to cover the fundamentals of land surveying which culminates in a residential field course.
- Group and project work: You should gain an appreciation of the multi-disciplinary nature of civil engineering, and the importance of effective project management, teamwork, good communication and lateral thought. You will also have the opportunity to develop research skills throughout your course to enable you to establish creative solutions to bespoke problems.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Civil Engineers, Institution of
- Structural Engineers, Institution of
- Chartered institution of Highways & Transportation Civil Engineers, The Institution of
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
This course may be available at alternative locations, please check if other course options are available
All applications are considered on an individual basis and the whole application is reviewed which includes previous and predicted qualifications, experience, reference and your motivation to study the course. The University also accepts the BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate / BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma and BTEC Level 3 National Diploma / BTEC Level 3 Diploma for entry onto degree programmes, provided that they are studied in combination with other qualifications that are equivalent to three A2 Levels. This may include subject specific requirements where necessary. If you are successful in receiving an offer, you will be invited to an Applicant Visit Day to discover more about the course and studying at Coventry University.
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Republic of Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Clearing contact details
Recruitment and Admissions Office
Thursday 18 August 08:00-20:00, Friday 19 August 08:00-18:00, Saturday 20 August 10:00-16:00, Sunday 21 August 10:00-16:00, Monday 22 August onwards (weekdays only) 08:00-18:30
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
UK Admissions Office
024 7765 2222
European and International Admissions Office
+44 024 7765 2152