Are you looking to making a difference in the rapidly evolving world of policing? This course will allow you to delve deeply into the justice system, different types of crimes and teach you how to make effective and dynamic decisions. The University of Cumbria is ranked 81.8% for overall student satisfaction (NSS, 2022) Designed and licensed by The College of Policing, you can be assured that you will graduate with all the skills required to gain a competitive edge when it comes to applying for graduate roles. The University of Cumbria is ranked 81.8% for overall student satisfaction (NSS, 2022). Course Overview You’ll develop a firm foundation in the theory and practice of policing, while strengthening your skill set through supporting disciplines, such as criminology, the application of ethics and the interpretation of legislation and procedure. This programme delivers a curriculum set by The College of Policing, so you can be sure your learning will be of the highest calibre. Our dedicated and enthusiastic team come from a wide range of policing backgrounds, and their extensive knowledge is complemented by guest speakers from a variety of policing and criminal justice roles. Our licensed ‘pre-join’ degree is the go-to course to get you off to the best possible start in your policing career. On this course you will:
- Learn how to make effective and dynamic police decisions and solve problems.
- Learn the fundamental powers and procedures that Police Officers use every day.
- Have the opportunity and be supported in applying for the local Special Constabulary, providing you with real-world policing experience alongside your studies.
- Attend our CATE-Award-nominated Major Incident Event, where you will work alongside forensic and paramedic teams providing interprofessional skill development.
- Understanding the Police Constable Role
- Policing Vulnerability in Contemporary Society
- Police Legislation
- Academic Study Skills and Applied Social Sciences
- Information and Intelligence
- Policing, Decisions and Ethics
- Professionalism, Values and Standards
- Vulnerability and Risk
- Specialist Procedures
- Operational Policing
- Academic Research Skills
- Criminological Concepts
- Coaching and Mentoring
- Response Policing
- Community Policing
- Police Investigation (optional module)
- Information and Intelligence (optional module)
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Carlisle - Fusehill Street
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
Additional entry requirements
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
University of Cumbria
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
Course Enquiry Centre
0845 606 1144