Do you think you could cut it as an investment banker or City trader? Would you relish the challenge of overseeing multimillion pound portfolios? Are you interested in how financial markets operate? Our professionally recognised degree has been designed to teach skill sets used in careers in finance or investment. The nature and relevance of finance to all organisations, coupled with transferrable skills in creative problem solving and critical evaluation, are useful in a wide range of decision making roles. We aim to deepen your understanding of financial decision-making, risk management and the behaviour of financial markets. We consider the governance of global enterprises and how finance shapes leadership, strategy and planning. Throughout the course, teaching is designed to embed the professional skills required by business and finance sector employers, developing your specialist financial knowledge and bridging the gap between finance theory and practice. We draw on actual case studies, innovative projects and use a range of practical exercises, such as trade games, portfolio creation and management, to simulate real-world financial practices. You’ll have access to the largest academic trading floor in Europe, which provides hands-on experience of market leading financial databases and platforms, including Bloomberg, Thomson Reuters Eikon, Fitch Connect and DataStream, so you can practise making business decisions. This course is formally recognised as a CFA UK Investment Management Certificate (IMC) advantage programme. We also enjoy links with the Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment (CISI). Guest speakers have previously deliver sessions in topics such as commercial awareness, employability and working in the business sector. Past students have undertaken placements and some students have gone on to work for prestigious companies including Microsoft, IBM, Tesco Graduate Scheme, Jaguar Land Rover and the NHS. Key Course Benefits
- Designated Employment Personal Tutor (EPT) to work with you throughout your course to offer support and career guidance.
- Coventry Business School was ranked ‘excellent’ in 2018 by Eduniversal, an annual ranking of business schools in over 150 countries.
- Coventry Business School is an active member of the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD) and Chartered Association of Business Schools (CABS).
- Teaching benefits from research and insight from corporate partners, including the regulatory bodies and leading consultancies. Examples include Bloomberg and Fitch Connect.
- High levels of student satisfaction for our Finance courses – 92% overall in the National Student Survey (NSS) 2018, 90% for the quality of teaching and 91% for academic support.
- Impressive industrial placement opportunities, which have previously included: Lloyds Banking Group; Mattioli Woods (Pensions and Wealth Management); - HM Treasury; Allianz Indonesia; PwC; The Boots Company; and Jaguar Land Rover.
- Opportunity for professional certification of key financial database skills. You will take the Bloomberg Market Concepts examinations during their first year. Students are expected to pass this assessment in accordance with Bloomberg set regulation. This can help assist students employability as trading floors around the world are reliant on Bloomberg technology.
Your main study themes are: Investments: Covers relevant finance and investment concepts. Our aim is for you to learn about the function of capital markets, the trade-off between risk and return, how to price financial assets, how to combine different risky investments into a portfolio and the importance of the way a firm finances its operations. Economics and business: Our aim is for you to learn how businesses operate within the external environment and the impact on finance of things like competition or overseas tax legislation on profit and loss. Accounting and finance fundamentals: Our aim is for you to learn the basic principles, rationale and methods used in analysing, recoding, planning and managing accounts or finances. Statistical analysis and quantitative methods: Our aim is for you to learn essential numeracy skills and analysis for financial reporting, forecasting and modelling, for example, evaluating how much debt a company can afford or the optimum percentage sales growth. Markets: Our aim is for you to learn the development and operation of international markets for resources, goods and services, including considerations of: customers; customer expectations; service and market orientation. For more information about what you will study, please visit our website.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- European Foundation for Management Development
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
This course may be available at alternative locations, please check if other course options are available
All applications are considered on an individual basis and the whole application is reviewed which includes previous and predicted qualifications, experience, reference and your motivation to study the course. The University also accepts the BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate / BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma and BTEC Level 3 National Diploma / BTEC Level 3 Diploma for entry onto degree programmes, provided that they are studied in combination with other qualifications that are equivalent to three A2 Levels. This may include subject specific requirements where necessary. If you are successful in receiving an offer, you will be invited to an Applicant Visit Day to discover more about the course and studying at Coventry University.
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Republic of Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
Clearing contact details
Recruitment and Admissions Office
Thursday 18 August 08:00-20:00, Friday 19 August 08:00-18:00, Saturday 20 August 10:00-16:00, Sunday 21 August 10:00-16:00, Monday 22 August onwards (weekdays only) 08:00-18:30
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
UK Admissions Office
024 7765 2222
European and International Admissions Office
+44 024 7765 2152