This course will give you the skills to develop successful commercial products. You’ll be encouraged to take a creative and innovative approach to problem-solving, while also addressing the functional, social and economic needs of your design. Why study BSc (Hons) Product Design at BU?
- Learn how to manufacture physical models and prototypes, as well as produce industry standard computer models
- Use state of the art facilities including a specialist CAD laboratory and our Innovation Centre
- Spend your third year on a work placement, gaining at least 30 weeks experience in a relevant industry
- Design your own original product and make a working prototype in your final year and exhibit it at our annual Festival of Design & Engineering
- Choose to extend your undergraduate study and continue to the award of Master of Design (MDes) Product Design
- Graduate with a range of skills allowing you to go into a range of careers in the industry from a designer through to production manager - 95% of our graduates are in employment or further education after 15 months. (source DiscoverUni 2022)
First year core units will include; Team Project, Design Communication, Materials and Technology A, Materials and Technology B, Design Projects 1 and Design Studies 1.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Engineering Designers, Institution of
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
Please select a course option – you will then see the application code you need to use to apply for the course.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
- Year 2
- Year 4
AccessBU: AccessBU provides you with the opportunity to tell us about your circumstances that are not always evident in your UCAS application. This widening access initiative also considers relevant criteria such as being in care or if you live in an area with a low participation rate in Higher Education - if you are eligible, your offer could be up to 16 UCAS tariff points below the published tariff. Apprenticeships: We recognise the transferable knowledge and skills gained through apprenticeships and welcome applications from students with a Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship recognised by the Institute for Apprenticeships. Each application will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Deferred entry: We are happy to consider eligible applicants for deferred entry. If you have already submitted your application, you can request a deferral by contacting our Admissions Team. Direct entry: We welcome applications from students who have previously studied at degree level at other institutions and wish to transfer onto a BU course. Our Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) procedure enables credit awarded from one institution to contribute to a BU award, subject to an application process. Please contact our Future Students Enquiry Team for more information. Mature applicants: We recognise that mature applicants may have a wealth of experience rather than formal qualifications, so we’ll consider your application on these merits if included in your application. You’ll need to apply to BU in the usual way through UCAS and you may be invited to an interview to discuss your suitability for the course based on the experience you tell us about in your application.
Additional entry requirements
English language requirements
|IELTS (Academic)||6||IELTS (Academic) 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in each component of writing, speaking, listening and reading.|
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|
|Republic of Ireland||£9250||Year 1|