BA (Hons) Fashion Design and Technology has an excellent reputation for producing menswear, womenswear and sportswear graduates who combine design innovation with an in-depth knowledge of the technical aspects of fashion design and manufacturing. The course reflects contemporary industry standards and encourages students to design and develop innovative fashion products and ranges using both manual and digital technologies. Students work on live projects with industry partners and also have an opportunity to undertake a placement and/or overseas study combined with a year in industry. Students have the option to graduate with a Menswear, Womenswear or Sportswear award, by selecting specialist units in years two and three, or they can work across multiple specialisms. However, all students are encouraged to direct their learning towards specialised target markets such as luxury, outerwear, denim, tailoring, performance or lifestyle sportswear. The practical aspects of the course are underpinned by the study of the business and cultural contexts of fashion and consideration of sustainable industry practices. Students work towards an exit portfolio that showcases their creative and technical skills appropriate to their chosen careers. While many graduates enter design roles, the technical aspects of the programme also prepare students for other careers such as pattern cutting, fashion innovation and product development. FEATURES AND BENEFITS
- The best of both – Develop in-depth technical know-how and commercial business skills alongside your own personal design aesthetic.
- Manchester and beyond - Enhance your learning by taking study trips. Previous trips have been to trade fairs and manufacturing bases in Paris, Munich, Amsterdam and Porto, and to India and China to explore sustainable practices.
- First-hand experience – Benefit from excellent placement opportunities in the UK and abroad, our dedicated placement team help source placements at companies such as Acne, Burberry, Ralph Lauren, Margaret Howell, Old Navy, Speedo and Adidas.
- Industry-standard facilities – You’ll have access to industry-standard equipment including more than 150 specialised sewing and joining machines and equipment, 3D bodyscanner, sew-free bonding equipment, automated and laser cutting equipment, 3D printing and the latest digital pattern-cutting software.
- Hone a specialism – Take the opportunity to develop your skills in womenswear, menswear or sportswear. With access to specialist staff, tailored projects and industry competitions to develop a deep knowledge and enhance your employability.
How to apply
You can no longer submit a new application for courses starting in 2023.
If you already have a 2023 application and are in Clearing, you can add this course as a Clearing choice – contact the university or college first to check they have places.
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
GCSE grade C/4 in English Language or Level 2 Functional Skills English pass A portfolio is required for this course.
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course