Why choose this course? If you are interested in a technical or scientific career, involving work and travel in manufacturing, the leather industry would be a great choice and this course is an excellent foundation. The leather industry, including the sports, luxury goods, footwear, automotive and fashion sectors, is short of technically skilled staff and is actively searching for well-trained graduates. Your first year will introduce you to the foundations of business and marketing, as well as leather science. Your second year involves all aspects of leather, including materials evaluation and surface coating. Your final year includes a major project and sustainability. The course is delivered by the Institute of Creative Leather Technology (ICLT), part of the university at our on-site Tannery. By studying at the University of Northampton, you can be sure that:
- You will experience student life at the University’s £330 million Waterside Campus. Come along to an Open Day and find out more.
- Students enrolling on this course at Northampton will be provided with their own brand new laptop* to keep at no additional cost. All sports clubs and societies are free to join at Northampton and every essential course text book is available via the library, meaning you won’t have to purchase copies. For more information on this visit our website (northampton.ac.uk/benefits).
- Based on the evidence available, the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) Panel judged that the University of Northampton delivers consistently outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for its students. It is of the highest quality found in the UK.
- Our expert academics teach in small groups supported with one to one assistance. Our academics and students form a tight bond, providing individualised support and guidance whilst challenging students academically.
- We invest more money into your education than 90% of Universities in the UK**
- Whatever your ambitions, we’re here to help you to achieve them. We’ll support you to identify the skills you’re learning during your course, find your strengths and secure practical experience so that when it comes to applying for jobs or further study you’ll feel confident in standing out from the crowd.
- In fact, we’re so confident in our careers and employability support that if you achieve at least a 2:2 degree and complete either our Employability Plus Gold programme or achieve a Changemaker Gold Certificate during your time studying with us, but still haven’t secured full-time employment 12 months after graduating, we will secure a three – six month paid internship for you or support you into postgraduate study.
STAGE 1: • Leather Technology and Materials Evaluation – Raw to Tanned (compulsory) • Leather Technology and Materials Evaluation – Tanned to Crust (compulsory) • Raw Materials and End Use ( compulsory) • Surface Coatings 1 (compulsory) • Leather Science 1 (designated) • Foundations of Marketing (designated) • Introduction to Marketing Communications (designated) • Introduction to Management (designated) • Enterprise and Opportunity (designated) STAGE 2: • Leather Technology 2 (compulsory) • Materials Evaluation 2 (compulsory) • Surface Coatings 2 (compulsory) • Cleaner Leather Manufacture (compulsory) • Leather Science 2 (designated) • Integrated Marketing Communication (designated) • Operations Management 1 (designated) • Information Technology for Business (designated) STAGE 3: • Project (compulsory) • Leather Technology 3 (compulsory) • Leather Manufacture and Sustainability (compulsory) • Leather Science 3 (designated) • Supply Chain Operations Management (designated) • Principles of Marketing Management (designated) Module information is quoted for 19/20 entry. Please note that modules run subject to student numbers and staff availability, any changes will be communicated to applicants accordingly.
The course is assessed in a number of ways: • Practical reports • Assignments • Presentations • Reflective portfolios • Examinations.
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|