You relish sport’s ability to bring joy and to improve the mind and body. You have a true passion to help others discover the physical, mental and social wellbeing impacts of sport. Here you can discover a like-minded community of sports enthusiasts. Our foundation year will help you on your way to achieving a full degree, accredited by CIMSPA, designed so you can be supported by our expert lecturers to confidently step into your ideal future career and gain the knowledge to make a difference. Course Overview If you are passionate about pursuing a career as a sport coaching professional but do not have the required qualifications for direct entry then the Integrated Foundation Year offers a supportive alternative route into Higher Education. You’ll examine the theory of physical education, sport and coaching science across education, leisure and community sectors. Build on this with a focus on teaching and coaching. A learn-and-do ethos will see teaching complemented by practical sessions whilst experience in schools, clubs and community groups will provide real-world application. Completing 50 hours of work experience will prove invaluable for your CV. With numerous career options upon graduation including sport coaching, teaching, sport development, performance analysis and event management. You’ll receive the support of industry-sourced professionals and have access to facilities including a sports hall and performance laboratories, Salt Ayre leisure centre and Brathay Hall and estate. On this course you will
- Gain academic and vocational key skills through both classroom and community engagement projects linked to specific modules.
- Be taught in small class sizes which means you get to know your class and tutors well, allowing you to feel supported during your studies.
- Gain CIMSPA accreditation boosting your graduate prospects and gain free qualifications recognised by industry during your studies.
- Have access to an extensive range of partner organisations in sport including Active Cumbria, Active Lancashire and Golf England facilitating learning opportunities, guest speakers and placements.
- Reach the right level for progressing onto the full degree programme, building a solid foundation of skills from which to expand upon.
- Essential University Skills 1
- Essential University Skills 2
- Contemporary Issues and the Media
- Leading and Managing Individuals and Organisations
- Individual Case Study
- Sport in Action
- Personal & Professional Development
- Developing the Practitioner Toolkit
- Introduction to Sport Development
- Building Effective Relationships
- Principles of Human Movement & Function
- Multi-Skills Development in Physical Education and Sport
- Part 2 Practice Assessment
- Delivering Sport and the Physical Education Curriculum
- Leadership and Relationships in Sport
- Work-Based Learning
- Investigative Techniques
- Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Developing Communities through Sport
- Independent Investigative Project
- Current Issues in Sport Development and Physical Education
- Managing Community Events
- Club and Coach Development
- Performance Analysis in Sport
Foundation entry level degrees enable you to gain knowledge of fundamental anatomical and physiological principles of sport and exercise as well as essential physical sciences.Practical and lab-based sessions teach specific scientific skills while the role of sport in society and human behaviour are just two of the other areas covered by the four-year courses. Year two ■ Coaching Principles and Practice ■ Intro to Sport Development ■ Participant and Talent development in Sport ■ Sport and Exercise Physiology ■ Intro to Sport and Exercise Psychology ■ Intro to Research Methods Year three ■ Coaching Behaviour and Relationships ■ Development of Communities Through Sport ■ Coaching for Strength, Conditioning and Performance ■ Research Methods Options – choose two from four ■ Delivering Healthy Communities ■ Nutrition for Health, Wellbeing and Sport ■ Sport and Exercise Physiology II ■ Applied Sport and Exercise Psychology Year four ■ Coaching Children ■ Coach & Club Development
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
There is no data available for this course. For further information visit the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£6125||Year 1|