Embrace advances in technology and help to shape the future with this unique masters degree. 3D design and digital manufacturing technologies are advancing at an incredible rate. We live in an age where it is possible to 3D print everything from cars to clothing and even entire houses, with scientists currently exploring the possibility of 3D printing human organs for transplant. Gaining this qualification is your chance to be at the forefront of a huge growth area, with major international companies such as Boeing, Adidas and the NHS investing heavily in 3D print technology. This innovative course offers hands-on training in the fascinating field of digital manufacturing and aims to educate and develop industry-ready professionals. A wide range of units will develop your skills in computer-aided design, modelling and industrial sustainability. As well as 3D printing, course content has been designed to train students in all aspects of Industry 4.0, and explores The Internet of Things, generative design and even augmented and virtual reality. The masters is positioned at the cutting edge of technology and examines how UK manufacturing could be transformed through the adoption of industrial digital technologies. As such, as part of this course, you will visit complex technical organisations to witness the impact that is being made. Features and Benefits:
- Cutting-edge facilities – Study in the state-of-the-art PrintCity facility, the University’s digital manufacturing hub. Equipped with over 60 3D printers including Ultimaker, Formlabs, Markforged, 3D Systems and HP, that can produce parts in many different materials, including metal.
- Build your own world – You’ll also be able to build your own immersive realities with our Oculus Quest 2’s and Unity 3D.
- Live project opportunities – PrintCity attracts businesses as part of its commercial arm for those wishing to develop prototypes. Wherever possible, we will offer this work to you to work on alongside your studies.
- Student community – We have built a reputation for creating a strong group dynamic where we all work together in the same space: staff and students. We meet every week as a group to keep up to date with Industry 4.0 or plan outings.
- Industry-recognised skills – Our digital design and manufacturing students are highly valued in industry and digital manufacturing. We’re delighted to have three former students featured in The Manufacturer's list of 50 Young People Making Manufacturing Smarter a list of inspiring young people who are forging their careers within the UK manufacturing landscape and driving the country forward through innovation.
- Dedicated technical support – Our expert team of PrintCity Technical Officers provide hands-on support to students at every stage, from the conception of ideas to finished products. You'll work closely with them, from one-on-one support to round table discussions, to ensure you're confident in the practical aspects of 3D printing.
- Be career ready – The design of our course structure and student lifecycle allows you to build a variety of skills and a broad portfolio of work - a readiness that will be invaluable in preparing for better-paid positions within Industry 4.0.
- Optional placement year – Put theory into practice with an industry placement, boosting your career prospects and gaining specialist expertise and transferrable professional skills.
Please see our website for information on entry requirements.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course