Never before has the quality of food been more important in our society. Governments across the world are putting pressure on the food industry to ensure products are safe and made to a high standard. That’s why the demand for qualified experts in this field is ever-growing — and the career opportunities are vast. The Food Product Innovation MSc is designed around the entire process of food product development — from concept to launch. We focus on consumer-led product development, where consumers play a key role during the whole development process. You’ll develop in-depth specialist knowledge needed to ensure that newly developed food products meet the necessary processing requirements for ensuring the quality and safety of food. Alongside, you’ll gain a broad understanding of legislation and how this impacts the industry. It’s this combination of scientific acumen, awareness of international requirements and the industry-relevant skill set in areas, like sensory evaluation and product design, that’ll attract employers in industry. Studying an MSc in the School of Food Science and Nutrition at Leeds will also give you access to specialist facilities that’ll prepare you for working in the field and a programme team consisting of academics and researchers who work within the School’s research institutes and groups. Why study at Leeds:
- Learn the latest food science innovations, linked directly to our impactful, 'real world' research, conducted right here in our School.
- Advance your knowledge and skills in critical areas sought after in industry, including food processing, food product development, sensory science and food quality assurance and control.
- Work as a team, develop interpersonal skills and understand practical issues of communicating scientific results to a wider non-scientific audience.
- Experience excellent practical and theoretical teaching delivered by internationally renowned expert academics working at the forefront of their fields with strong industrial links.
- Enhance your career prospects and join our successful alumni who have pursued careers in big companies in industry including Kerry Foods, Wharfe Bank Brewery and Arla Foods.
- Master the most up-to-date practices and techniques recognised in industry on a course that has been directly informed and advised by the Industrial Advisory Board.
- Make the most of your time at Leeds by joining our Food Science society, where you can widen your interest in food studies and get to know people on your course outside of lectures through trips and socials such as a Summer BBQ.
Assessment is by course work and written exams which take place at the end of the semester in which the module is taught.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Food Science and Technology of the United Kingdom, Institute of
A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) in a relevant science subject, usually including modules in food processing and/or engineering. A bachelor degree with a 2:2 (hons) in a relevant science subject will be considered for candidates with food-related industry and/or research experience. We expect all applicants to provide a supporting statement indicating a career aim or interest in food product development, knowledge of which is the key objective of this degree. For more information, please contact the Admissions Team.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course