This course is accredited by the University of Warwick OVERVIEW From working alongside professional footballers to treating sports injuries in a clinic, qualified sports and exercise therapists are in demand across the sports, health and leisure industries. Our specialist Sports Therapy foundation degree combines academic learning with developing your practical sports and exercise therapy skills to an advanced level, opening up a wide range of career options when you graduate. Having developed your understanding of the therapist’s role, the science of sports and exercise therapy and rehabilitation techniques, you will have a vast array of opportunities to gain experience putting your training to the test in the real world. Our past students have gained prestigious placements with Team Scotland at the 2022 Commonwealth Games and with the Scottish Rugby Union at the 2019 Rugby World Cup and Six Nations, as well as working for a host of other prolific sports clubs, organisations and events. You will also have the chance to work in University College Birmingham’s cutting-edge sports facilities, including our sports injury/massage clinics and our Human Performance Centre on campus. During your studies, you can gain a variety of further industry qualifications including sports massage and first aid. On completing our Sports Therapy course, you will also be qualified to join the industry’s professional body, The Society of Sports Therapists. WHY CHOOSE THIS COURSE?
- Work placements – Build invaluable professional work experience through a variety of placement opportunities – past students have worked with top-level football and rugby clubs and national sports teams
- Practical application – Put your therapy skills into practice in our on-campus clinics and at major sporting events, such as the London Marathon and Ride Across Britain
- Enrichment – Enjoy a variety of industry trips and events including St George’s Park, King’s College London/Wembley Stadium and our annual Sports Performance and Rehabilitation Conference, as well as having opportunities to complete additional qualifications (Lubas FASE 1 and 2, ITEC Level 4 massage)
- Award-winning university – Study at the University of the Year offering the best Student Support in the UK (WhatUni Student Choice Awards 2022)
- Sports therapist
- Sports physiotherapist
- Occupational therapist
- Personal trainer
- Health promotion specialist
- Higher education lecturer
- Please refer to our website www.ucb.ac.uk for the latest updates to this course
- Personal Development and Evidence Based Practice
- Exercise Science for Sports Therapists
- Introduction to Sports Injury Management
- Musculoskeletal Anatomy
- Fundamentals of Movement Assessment
- Exercise Instruction for Sports Therapists
- Pathology of Sports Injuries
- Peripheral and Spinal Assessment
- Research for Sports Therapists
- Sport and Exercise Rehabilitation 1
- Sport and Exercise Rehabilitation 2
Note: Indicative information only. Actual timetables and assessment regimes will be issued at your induction. Please be aware that methods of delivery for this course may be altered due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic – for the most up-to-date information, please refer to our website: www.ucb.ac.uk ASSESSMENT Estimated breakdown of assessment for this degree course:
- Coursework – 40%
- Practical assessment – 44%
- Written examinations – 16%
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- University College Birmingham
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
Non-tariff: Non-UCAS Tariff based Level 3 qualifications are also considered for entry please contact [email protected] to check your eligibility. Work-based: We also give equal consideration to applicants who are currently in work and wish to apply to UCB. To apply, you must have a minimum of 3 years’ relevant work experience, demonstrating management or supervisory duties. Your application must also include a reference from your line manager supporting your entry to higher education. For further details please contact Admissions. Students who are studying a mixture of qualifications will receive an offer that will be inclusive of all Level 3 qualifications.
Additional entry requirements
Criminal records declaration (DBS/Disclosure Scotland)
Students must also complete a Disclosure and Barring Service check (DBS). UCB will co-ordinate and fund the completion of the DBS check.
English language requirements
|Cambridge English Advanced||Level B2||BA/BSc - Minimum 170 with no less than 160 in any skill FdA/FdSc - Minimum 160 with no less than 150 in any skill|
|IELTS (Academic)||BA/BSc - Overall score of 6.0 with no less than 5.5 in each component FdA/FdSc - Overall score of 5.5 with no less than 5.0 in each component|
|Institution's Own Test||BA/BSc - Overall score of B2 with no less than B2- in in each component FdA/FdSc - Overall score of B2- with no less than B1+ in in each component|
To apply for all undergraduate degrees, if your first language is not English, you will need to sit an approved test in English.
UCB English Language Requirements
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Republic of Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
University College Birmingham
Clearing contact detailsApply Direct
University College Birmingham Admissions
0121 604 1040
Haven’t secured a place at university or changed your mind on where or what you want to study? Don’t panic! You can apply for a place at University College Birmingham (UCB) through the Clearing process, which runs until October. Investing £160m in cutting edge facilities and with award-winning support, we offer degrees in everything from business and finance, education, sport, nursing, hospitality and creative services to digital - including cyber security - and engineering. Most degrees are accredited by the University of Warwick, ranked 8th in the UK in the Guardian League Tables, too. Not familiar with the Clearing process? Here, you will find everything you need to know to get the ball rolling and secure your place at University College Birmingham. Our team of dedicated Clearing advisors have your very best interests at heart and will guide you through every aspect of your application. Simply call us on 0121 604 1040 and we’ll get you started on your journey.