University College Birmingham has opted into the TEF and received a Silver award.
OVERVIEW Whether you dream of managing major sports events, festivals and exhibitions or working in wedding planning and incentive travel, the events sector is full of exciting opportunities. Managing events is big business too, with the industry estimated to be worth over £42 billion in the UK alone. Accredited by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI), our Events Management degree will help you develop the skills to become an innovative leader who can build exceptional, unforgettable event experiences. From studying events planning, marketing and design to financial management and risk and crisis management, you will gain in-depth knowledge to build a comprehensive platform for your future career. One of the highlights of our course is a 12-month paid work placement that will give you a distinctive advantage in the events job market, with our past students having worked in Brussels, Prague and Hong Kong. You will also take part in a wide variety of residential trips and have the chance to prove your practical skills by planning and managing your own ‘live’ event using Cvent, the world’s number one specialist event management software. WHY CHOOSE THIS COURSE?
- Work placement – Gain extensive first-hand experience of the events industry on a paid 12-month work placement, with opportunities in the UK and abroad
- Residential visits – Enjoy a full programme of trips with essential costs covered by the University – past destinations have included York, Windsor, Barcelona, Milan and New York
- Enrichment – Gain new skills studying in our Digital Creative Studio, work with local charities and hear from industry speakers – recent guests include Arena Birmingham and Weston Park Foundation
- Industry approved – Complete our course and get a Level 5 award in Leadership, with CMI membership and access to learning resources throughout your degree
- Additional qualifications – Boost your CV with further training such as BIIAB Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders and the Cvent Professional Events Management Certificate
- Team Scotland partnership – Our University will be the home for Team Scotland at the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, offering exciting opportunities for our students to work with the team and its athletes
- Events/festival manager
- Conference centre manager
- Marketing executive
- Digital marketer
- Tour manager
- Project manager
- Please refer to our website www.ucb.ac.uk for the latest updates to this course
- Event Business Environment
- Employability Enhancement
- Events Experience and Digital Design
- Leadership and Planning for Events
- Events Supply and Logistics
- Exploring the Events Industry
- Managing Event Hospitality
- Applied Management Research
- Event Project Management
- Live Events Creation and Development
- Essentials of Events Management
- Stadium and Arena Management
- Social Media in Festivals and Events
- Dynamics of Business Events
- Enterprise Start-up Studies
- Training and Development Skills for Managers
- Festival and Event Tourism
- Mega Events
- Winning Events Bids
- International Research Project
- Event Crisis Strategy
- Financial Strategy
- Global Marketing Solutions
- Managing Adventure Events
- Dark and Thanatourism Management
Note: Indicative information only. Actual timetables and assessment regimes will be issued at your induction. Please be aware that methods of delivery for this course may be altered due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic – for the most up-to-date information, please refer to our website: www.ucb.ac.uk ASSESSMENT Estimated breakdown of assessment for this degree course:
- Coursework – 78%
- Practical examination – 12%
- Written examination – 10%
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Chartered Management Institute
How to apply
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
Please select a course option – you will then see the application code you need to use to apply for the course.
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
- Year 2
- Year 3
- Year 4
Entry requirements for advanced entry (i.e. into Year 2 and beyond)
Transferring from another university At University College Birmingham, we consider applications from students who have studied, or are currently studying, a Higher Education course and now wish to transfer universities. What do I need to do? To make an enquiry about studying at University College Birmingham, you will need to complete our online enquiry form -> https://portal.ucb.ac.uk/#/admissions/ucb-direct-apply Consideration for advanced entry will be dependent on the modules of your previous course, and how well this matches to the content of the course you wish to transfer to at University College Birmingham. Additionally, the process will be dependent on the number of credits achieved on your current course. Where similar study is apparent, it may be possible for us to award Accreditation for Previous Learning (APL) and, therefore, advanced entry onto a course at UCB will be permitted. Please note; due to the nature of this process, all applications are considered on an individual basis.
All non-EU international students can apply directly via our online application forms: https://portal.ucb.ac.uk/#/admissions/direct-application/intro Undergraduate applicants can also apply via UCAS, if they wish to apply to more than one university. The International Admissions team aim to respond to any new application made directly via the online application form within 5 working days of receipt. However, this can vary during peak application periods (particularly January-March) or if the team require additional information to process your application. Applicants who apply to transfer to University College Birmingham on to a second year or final year of a course will have their previous course matched for entry. Each application is considered individually and careful consideration is given to all information on your application form. We may also need to contact you regarding your immigration status or previous studies in the UK.
Year 1 Entry: Students who are studying a combination of different qualification types will receive an offer that will be inclusive of all Level 3 qualifications. Advanced Entry: If you are unsure if your previous higher education qualification is suitable please contact us before completing an application, you can call us on 0121 604 1040 or email: [email protected]
Please click the following link to find out more about qualification requirements for this course
English language requirements
|Cambridge English Advanced||Level B2||BA/BSc - Minimum 170 with no less than 160 in any skill FdA/FdSc - Minimum 160 with no less than 150 in any skill|
|IELTS (Academic)||BA/BSc - Overall score of 6.0 with no less than 5.5 in each component FdA/FdSc - Overall score of 5.5 with no less than 5.0 in each component|
|Institution's Own Test||BA/BSc - Overall score of B2 with no less than B2- in in each component FdA/FdSc - Overall score of B2- with no less than B1+ in in each component|
To apply for all undergraduate degrees, if your first language is not English, you will need to sit an approved test in English.
UCB English Language Requirements
The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data. For further information, see the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
University College Birmingham
Clearing contact detailsApply Direct
0121 604 1040
Haven’t secured a place at university? Don’t panic! You can apply for a place at UCB through the clearing process, which opens every year in July. Not familiar with the clearing process? Here, you will find everything you need to know to get the ball rolling and secure your place at UCB. Our team of dedicated clearing advisors have your very best interests at heart and will guide you through every aspect of your application. Simply call us on 0121 604 1040 and we’ll get you started on your journey.