University of Derby has opted into the TEF and received a Gold award.
There is no doubt that sport is big business. Just think of the global appetite for the Olympics or our own Premier League, the multi-million pound sponsorship deals, the unprecedented sums generated by broadcasting rights, and the way sport can generate economic growth in our communities. Our course is your entrance ticket to this exciting world. KEY FEATURES OF THE COURSE:
- STUDENT SATISFACTION: 90% of our BA (Hons) Sport Management students are satisfied with teaching on the course (National Student Survey 2019).
- MANAGEMENT SKILLS: Develop strong strategic, leadership and enterprise skills to help you excel in management roles within professional sports organisations.
- WORK READY: Gain in-depth knowledge of sport marketing, media and PR, finance, business development, commercial hospitality, sponsorship, talent management and event management - a fantastic skill set to enter one of the world's most lucrative sectors.
- GUARANTEED PLACEMENTS: At every level of study, there is the chance for you to work within a professional environment. You’ll also get involved in delivering sports events nationwide - our students have assisted in the organisation of Championship and FA Cup football matches, T20 cricket matches, National Badminton League matches and the Derby Half Marathon.
- LEARN FROM THE BEST: Drawing on our network of contacts, we offer you the chance to learn from leading industry professionals from around the world – with UK-based guest lectures and masterclasses delivered online from overseas.
- PRESENT TO INDUSTRY LEADERS: Take part in real-life research and consultancy projects on behalf of sports clubs, where you will deliver your findings directly to senior managers.
- TEAM DERBY: If you enjoy a challenge and would like to make the most of your own sporting passion and prowess, you could become involved with Team Derby which is the focal point for the University’s sporting community. It encompasses all aspects of sport, including courses, numerous sports clubs, the Athletics Union and sport development activities.
- You will be assessed using a range of methods, including coursework, exams, group work, online discussions, presentations, and case studies. Regular feedback is provided to support assessments and develop a greater understanding of what you need to work in the sports industry.
- As one of our graduates, you can progress to a wide range of roles within professional sports clubs – such as marketing executive, facility manager, social media manager, commercial sponsorship manager or sport event manager. You could also seek a business management career in broader fields including the events industry with concerts and festivals. In addition, there is the potential to progress to postgraduate study or teacher training with a focus on sport or business.
- This course is available with a Foundation Year option.
- This course is also available with an Industrial Placement Year.
How to apply
If your application is completed by the following date, it’s guaranteed to be considered:
15 January*If you apply after this deadline, universities or colleges don’t have to consider your application if they’ve filled their spaces, so the sooner you apply, the better!
You will need these codes when you add a choice to your application.
|Campus name||Main Site|
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
|UCAS Tariff||120 points||Your offer will be based on your predicted grades from your core A2s (full A levels), BTEC Diploma etc. We will accept up to 16 points towards the total from level 3 qualifications such as AS (where those AS levels are not taken on to A2 level), the Extended Project, or Music qualifications. We usually consider an A Level in General Studies as a supplementary qualification. A good application/performance will be taken into account if you do not meet the criteria / offer.|
|Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (first teaching from September 2016)||DDM|
|Access to HE Diploma||D: 15 credits M: 24 credits P: 6 credits||Pass Access to HE Diploma with 60 credits with 45 at Level 3|
|GCSE/National 4/National 5||GCSE Maths and English Grade C/Grade 4 (or above) or equivalent qualification|
Additional entry requirements
Criminal records declaration (DBS/Disclosure Scotland)
English language requirements
IELTS overall score at a minimum of 6.0; with at least IELTS 5.5 in each band (Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing) or another Secure English Language Test(SELT)at CEFR level B2 or above
Fees and funding
|Northern Ireland||£9250||Year 1|
|Channel Islands||£9250||Year 1|
Additional fee information
University of Derby