A degree in human geography provides the knowledge and skills to understand our rapidly changing world, including international development, population growth, urban transformation, sustainability, global geopolitics, human rights, globalisation, and patterns of inequality (ethnicity, class and gender). Our graduates are in demand for both their specialist and transferable skills. You’ll build skills in presenting your ideas in reports and orally, in data collection, presentation and analysis, and in the use of specialist mapping and statistical software. Each year of this programme is designed around a combination of compulsory core modules, as well as opportunities to take optional modules and discovery modules across the University so you can choose additional subjects of interest. This means you are able to specialise in either human or physical geography, or choose modules from a mixture of both. Broad expertise and knowledge will equip you to tackle important real-world problems in a range of organisations and sectors, from the public sector (such as working for local government), to private industry (as a retail analyst or location planner) and for non-governmental organisations (such as Amnesty International as a policy and campaigns officer). Why study at Leeds:
- Graduate with a degree accredited by the Royal Geographical Society (IBG) from a university ranked 11th in the UK for geography and environmental sciences, Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021 and 11th in the world, ShanghaiRanking’s Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2021.
- Take advantage of our world-leading research here at Leeds, which has had a pioneering impact on current global agendas, influencing key decision-makers in shaping environmental protection, public health and the economy.
- Tailor your degree to suit your interests. You can specialise in either human geography or physical geography, or opt to study a mixture of our BA and BSc modules.
- Experience expertise teaching delivered by a School that has taught geography for over 100 years. Learn from internationally renowned academics and researchers at the forefront of their fields who specialise in a variety of geography disciplines.
- Benefit from excellent teaching facilities, including specialist labs, lecture theatres and industry-standard software, fully equipped with the latest technology to support your learning.
- Put theory into practice with our extensive fieldwork activities located across the world, where you’ll experience ‘real world’ learning that will advance your research, project planning and teamwork skills whilst gaining hands-on experience highly valued by employers in industry.
- Enhance your career prospects and give your CV that competitive edge before you graduate with our paid industrial work placement opportunities. Our close industry links have given previous students the chance to work at — and build professional relationships with — major organisations such as Sainsbury’s, Morgan Stanley and GlaxoSmithKline.
- Gain invaluable life experience and advance your personal development with our exciting study abroad programmes, spanning across many universities worldwide.
Professionally accredited courses provide industry-wide recognition of the quality of your qualification.
- Royal Geographical Society
How to apply
This course has limited vacancies, and is no longer accepting applications from some students. See the list below for where you normally live, to check if you’re eligible to apply.
Republic of Ireland
This is the deadline for applications to be completed and sent for this course. If the university or college still has places available you can apply after this date, but your application is not guaranteed to be considered.
- Course code:
- Institution code:
- Campus name:
- Main Site
- Campus code:
Points of entry
The following entry points are available for this course:
- Year 1
This course may be available at alternative locations, please check if other course options are available
We accept a range of international equivalent qualifications. For information contact the School of Geography Undergraduate Admissions Team.
IELTS 6.0 overall, with no less than 5.5 in any component. International students who do not meet the English language requirements for the programme may be able to study an English for Academic Purposes pre-sessional course with a progression route to the degree programme. For information and entry requirements, please access this page: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/arts/info/125008/english_language/1768/pre-sessionals
The student satisfaction data is from students surveyed during the Covid-19 pandemic. The number of student respondents and response rates can be important in interpreting the data – it is important to note your experience may be different from theirs. This data will be based on the subject area rather than the specific course. Read more about this data on the Discover Uni website.
Fees and funding
No fee information has been provided for this course
Additional fee information
University of Leeds
Course contact detailsVisit our course page
School of Geography
0113 343 8109